Modelling dado trunking?

All questions relating to any aspect of 3D modelling with revit should be posted here

Modelling dado trunking?

Postby ExCAD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm using Revit Architecture 2012 and need to model some dado trunking to my classrooms. I can't find anything in the stock components? What would be the best way to model this? Thanks for all help.
ExCAD

Re: Modelling dado trunking?

Postby nealmac » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:09 pm

I think the easiest way to do it is to model an in-place sweep.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:18 pm

nealmac wrote:I think the easiest way to do it is to model an in-place sweep.

Yep, that's a good solution.

You could also create component families. It depends on the use. Do you just want a rough and ready representation in an architectural model or are you wanting to show every lenght of trunking, corner junction, etc- and schedule them. As with a lot of things in Revit- it depends..... :?

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby ExCAD » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:24 pm

thanks guys

I am going to put the dado trunking where the client specifies and the elec engineer is going to add the outlets using revit MEP.
ExCAD

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:52 pm

ExCAD wrote:thanks guys

I am going to put the dado trunking where the client specifies and the elec engineer is going to add the outlets using revit MEP.

Sounds like a Plan to me :)

Kind regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby nealmac » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:06 pm

See, we couldn't do that, because the chances are, any electrical engineers we employ can barely use CAD, let alone advance on to Revit :D

Glad you got sorted :)
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 pm

You've got a point! I think M&E Engineers will start to get on "the bandwagon" pretty quickly now. I think 2013 will be a BIG year for BIM / Revit.

Interestingly, we are seeing many Structural Engineering Consultants making the switch to Revit already. (just need M&E to follow suit :))

Regards,
Ian

nealmac wrote:See, we couldn't do that, because the chances are, any electrical engineers we employ can barely use CAD, let alone advance on to Revit :D

Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby nealmac » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Yep. A few of the structural guys we use have made the switch. Not that we share work or anything, but it's nice to know that people are definitely moving away from the dark side.
nealmac
Regular

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:49 pm

nealmac wrote:Yep. A few of the structural guys we use have made the switch. Not that we share work or anything, but it's nice to know that people are definitely moving away from the dark side.

We're desperately trying to get up to speed with Standards, etc. ie PAS1192-2, COBie, etc. As we start to work more and more with others in a BIM Environment- we need to ensure that we are all talking the same language :oops:

Regards,
Ian
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Scorpa-Cad » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:24 am

Revit Zone wrote:You've got a point! I think M&E Engineers will start to get on "the bandwagon" pretty quickly now. I think 2013 will be a BIG year for BIM / Revit.

Interestingly, we are seeing many Structural Engineering Consultants making the switch to Revit already. (just need M&E to follow suit :))

Regards,
Ian

nealmac wrote:See, we couldn't do that, because the chances are, any electrical engineers we employ can barely use CAD, let alone advance on to Revit :D

I completely agree, it's always the M&E Side who are slow to embrace the new changes. Have realised a few firms where I working nr to still have not undertaken any kind of Revit training, it could prove costly!
Scorpa-Cad

Return to 3D modelling