dormer roof cut?

All questions relating to any aspect of 3D modelling with revit should be posted here

dormer roof cut?

Postby Johan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 pm

I drew/modelled two gable ended pitched roof dormers onto a sloped roof and attached each to the roof. I then added a flat roof section to join the two dormer roofs together, the flat roof section joined to the dormer roofs and the roof the dormers sit onto.

I am trying to cut through the main roof the dormers and flat roof sit on but no matter how I try the cut prompts Revit to reject my efforts and tell me it cannot keep roofs etc. joined.

Also due to the shape of the roofs collectively I cannot think of a way to create the roof sets as one.

Any ideas?
Johan

Re: dormer roof cut?

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi Johan, and welcome :)

Any chance you can post a screen shot of your roofs so we can see how to best tackle it?

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Johan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:20 pm

A copy of the rear view 3D As i say when i try to make the cut into the roof structure for the whole dormer Revit will not keep roof joins so they detatch. Thanks for keeping me in mind
Attachments
N Av roof dormers joined with flat roof.pdf
(353.39 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Johan

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Do your two dormers actually meet- ie do the eaves that are adjacent to each other actually touch?

Or is there a slight gap between them?

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Johan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:09 am

thanks for getting back to me I still havent sorted this little problem out The Dormer windows are both seperate and do not join at eves. The initial design aggreed with Planning Dept alows for two seperate dormers I wish to join the two with the flat roof section and some walling near to the front of dormers. In a nutshell not joined. I did try to create a roof shape that included all three roofs, that is the two dormers and the flat roof section but the shape is awkward and i could not do this. If you have any ideas please get in touch and thanks again J
Johan

Postby Saw » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Johan wrote:thanks for getting back to me I still havent sorted this little problem out The Dormer windows are both seperate and do not join at eves. The initial design aggreed with Planning Dept alows for two seperate dormers I wish to join the two with the flat roof section and some walling near to the front of dormers. In a nutshell not joined. I did try to create a roof shape that included all three roofs, that is the two dormers and the flat roof section but the shape is awkward and i could not do this. If you have any ideas please get in touch and thanks again J

Not sure why it isn't working by using the built-in tools. But, how about just setting a custom level and manually adding your small section of flat roof? Not as slick as the automatic solution, but it would get the job done.

Regards,
Mike
Saw
Regular

Return to 3D modelling