Walls: stacked walls

All questions relating to any aspect of 3D modelling with revit should be posted here

Walls: stacked walls

Postby Tom Mc » Fri May 03, 2013 4:08 am

When modifying a stacked wall, when you go to 'Type Properties', then 'Edit Structure', in the 'Edit Assembly' dialogue box, in order to change the material type of a certain section of wall, there seems to be a limited amount of materials to choose from. How does one put their own custom material in this list so that they can choose it?
The way the boys build around here is they have a reinforced concrete ring beam at both the bottom and the top of a weak concrete block wall, with the ring beam at the base being only about 200mm high by 200mm wide, and even smaller dimensions on the ring beam at the top of the wall. I'd like to create a wall that has these two ring beam elements built into it already, but the only material close to a concrete ring beam to select from is a 300mm wide concrete foundation wall. Any ideas?
Tom Mc

Re: Walls: stacked walls

Postby Saw » Fri May 03, 2013 1:45 pm

With regards Materials, you just create a new material with the name you want. As long as the project you are then using that element/family in has a material with "exactly" the same name- all it's properties will map across. Hope that helps? (havent expalined it too well :( )

Regards,
Mike
Saw
Regular

Postby Tom Mc » Sat May 04, 2013 1:51 am

Thanks Mike, but I suspect your answer is not correct. Either that or I'm not quite understanding what you are saying.

If the System Family is a Basic Wall, then yes indeed I do have the opportunity to create whatever material I like (ie in "Element Properties" I can "edit" the Type by going to Edit "Structure", then in the "edit Assembly" dialogue box I can insert whatever materials I want to, including ones that I have created myself. However, in a Stacked Wall this does not seem to be the case. If you go to the "Element Properties" of a stacked wall, the Edit the "Structure", in the "Edit Assembly" dialogue box, it does not seem possible to incorporate any new materials, as you can with a normal basic wall.
Tom Mc

Postby Conman » Mon May 13, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm sure i read somewhere that in a stacked wall you can only use system wall families.
so you have to make a specific wall type with your own materials first . then open the stack wall type editor and change the stacked wall type in that to your wall with your materials - you cannot tweak materials directly in the stacked wall dialogue box.

so it may be lower wall of ring beam and blockwork and upper wall of upper ring beam and variable height of your own material. create these 2 walls separately first. then go into the stacked wall and choose them to stack on top of one another. Remember that you are only allowed 1 variable height element.

does that make sense? hope it helps..
Conman

Postby Tom Mc » Thu May 16, 2013 12:14 am

Ahhh yes, thanks Conman, and thanks Mike. I get it... I had to have previously made a new wall type to suit my needs, then I could access this wall type in the stacked wall type editor. Perfect, thanks very much. Regards, Tom.
Tom Mc

Return to 3D modelling