North Point

All questions relating to any aspect of 3D modelling with revit should be posted here

North Point

Postby Tom Mc » Fri May 03, 2013 6:29 am

How do we create a North Point in revit?? I understand the difference between 'Project North' and 'True North', however, when I go to orientate a view to true north: 'Tools Menu', 'Project Position/Orientation', 'Rotate True North', the latter option is not available (greyed out, not able to be selected). I figured this may be because I haven't put in a true north orientation point at any stage. Under 'Settings', 'Manage Place and Locations', I've tried to change the 'Angle From Project North to True North' parameter, but the dialogue box will not allow me to change the number from 0.00 degrees. There must be something very simple that I'm doing wrong. I'm quite amazed at how difficult it is to find info about creating a north point on the page. I'm using Revit 2009.
Tom Mc

Re: North Point

Postby Saw » Fri May 03, 2013 1:25 pm

To display a North Point "graphic" on your Views and/or Sheets, just use an Annotation Symbol family. You should find one of these in the default Families Library that came with your Revit installation. Just use the "Load Family" button to bring up the file browser- you can then just navigaate to the Annotation Families folder and find the North Point simbol and load it in.

Be aware: The North Point symbol is JUST THAT- ie a graphic symbol- it has now relationship / parameter control to the Project North / True North settings you mention.

Regards,
Mike
Saw
Regular

Postby Tom Mc » Sat May 04, 2013 1:36 am

Thanks Mike, I've located the north point and placed it into the drawing. I haven't worked out how to rotate the graphic to point in the true north direction.

Regarding "Manage Place and Locations" (under "settings"), and the fact that I'm not able to enter a value for "angle from project north to true north"... any ideas about that?
Capture.JPG
dialogue box with the value that I can't change
Capture.JPG (40.68 KiB) Viewed 325 times

Also, when I go to a plan view, in the "element properties", for "orientation" I select "True North", then go to "Tools", then "Project Position/Orientation", but the option of "Rotate True North" is not able to be selected (light grey text only).
Tom Mc

Postby Tom Mc » Sat May 04, 2013 11:19 am

I 've played around with Project North and True North enough now (several hours worth today) to have clarified it all to a certain degree. I've discovered, I think, that one cannot change the value for "angle from project north to true north" (in the "manage place and Locations" dialogue box)...it simply changes of it's own accord when the true north and project north values have been altered elsewhere.
Tom Mc

Return to 3D modelling