View Range

This forum is for the general discussion of Revit MEP

Re: View Range

Postby revit7777 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Well, the project involves renovating an existing convention center building and connecting it to an addition that is being built on the lot across the street from it. So far, we have the new addition in revit, but not the existing building. I guess that will be under a different phase, or just show up one day when the architect gets that far. Either way, we have the structural model of the addition (all one file), the building envelope model, and then there are three interior models. I am not sure what the purpose of dividing the architectural file into three different ones. I know Revit does tend to lag when the files get too big, maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm sure there was some reasoning for it, but I am just happy that they are all lined up and working together, and that I am able to start getting my floor plans set up. I'm sure I will have to make many more posts in this forum along the way, I have a feeling that I am just scratching the surface of learning this program, and having to jump in on such a large scale project of this complexity probably won't help matter much....
revit7777

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks for the reply- I am clearer now as to why it has been split up.

Depending on the overall size of the addition, all the architectural elements (envelope and interiors, etc) could have been encompassed within a single Architectural model and organised using Worksets. That way you can just disable certain Worksets from opening, when you start a revit session. This should deal with the lag issue by keeping the model size to a minimum, depending I what you need access to at any one time.

It's all a big learning curve for us all- that's what makes it so interesting ;)

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby revit7777 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Just one thing to add, as I was setting up floor plans, I think I might have another reason why it was divided up. The first 3 levels of the addition take up the whole footprint, but then there are 2 towers that rise out from there on either side. One is an office building, and the other is a condo building, and that is what 2 of the 3 interior links are (office building and condo building). Would they maybe have done this to make setting up floor plans a little easier and give some added flexibility to the view settings?
revit7777

Postby Revit Zone » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:19 pm

revit7777 wrote:Just one thing to add, as I was setting up floor plans, I think I might have another reason why it was divided up. The first 3 levels of the addition take up the whole footprint, but then there are 2 towers that rise out from there on either side. One is an office building, and the other is a condo building, and that is what 2 of the 3 interior links are (office building and condo building). Would they maybe have done this to make setting up floor plans a little easier and give some added flexibility to the view settings?

It sounds like they have seperate teams of people working on each of the key elements (ie each of the two towers, you mention)- in this case, there is plenty of merit in splitting up the project into seperate files.

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Revit MEP: General questions