View Range

This forum is for the general discussion of Revit MEP

View Range

Postby revit7777 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Its me again.....

I have copy/monitored all the levels from the linked in architectural models, but when I go to setup the view range for my floor plans, all I seem to have is the default level 1 and level 2 to choose from. How do I get the architectural levels in the list? Right now all I will be able to do is use the default levels and define the floors by offsets. That will work, but I see that causing problems and confusion later on.

I have seen the architectural levels in the view range list before. I am not sure if copy/monitor is the determining factor that puts them in the list, but if anyone knows how to get them in there, I would appreciate the help.
revit7777

Re: View Range

Postby Saw » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:48 pm

When you say you Copy/Monitored "all" the levels from the architectural model- are you sure you brought them "all" in. By definition, if you have copied all the Levels into your model, then they should all be in there, and available from the drop-down list in the View Range settings?

Mike
Saw
Regular

Postby Revit Zone » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:50 pm

As Mike says, it is strange that all the Levels aren't there to choose from, if they've been copied across. I can take a look at this tomorrow afternoon fro you, if you haven't Sussex it by then.

Regards,
Ian

revit7777 wrote:Its me again.....

I have copy/monitored all the levels from the linked in architectural models, but when I go to setup the view range for my floor plans, all I seem to have is the default level 1 and level 2 to choose from. How do I get the architectural levels in the list? Right now all I will be able to do is use the default levels and define the floors by offsets. That will work, but I see that causing problems and confusion later on.

I have seen the architectural levels in the view range list before. I am not sure if copy/monitor is the determining factor that puts them in the list, but if anyone knows how to get them in there, I would appreciate the help.
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby revit7777 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that I was right in thinking that they should be available. I can click on the elevations from within my model and they become highlighted. At the top there is an option to "stop monitoring", does this confirm that they have been successfully copied into my project, or is there another way to check this?

I guess one other thing that might be worth mentioning is that this project has been divided up into 5 architectural/structural files that are all linked into my model. They all share the same grids and elevations, so I just copied the structural ones as it seems to be the "base" of the project. Would I have to copy the grids and elevations out of all five linked models? I was hoping to avoid that because then I am left with 5 overlaping sets of elevations and grids.... it might get a little confusing, and seems redundant to me.

As always, thanks for the help, its much appreciated.
revit7777

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Just so I am 100% clear, when you say "Elevations" you mean "Levels"???

If you go to set up a new plan view, and untick the "Do not duplicate views" box- revit will show you what levels you have in YOUR project (ie NOT the ones in the linked projects.)

Can I please ask, are you sure you haven't just MONITORED some of the linked levels? You need to COPY / MONITOR them over into your Host project.

Please let me know how you get on. I can take a look at this tomorrow afternoon for you if it is still unresolved for you?

Cheers,
Ian

revit7777 wrote:Ok, I just wanted to make sure that I was right in thinking that they should be available. I can click on the elevations from within my model and they become highlighted. At the top there is an option to "stop monitoring", does this confirm that they have been successfully copied into my project, or is there another way to check this?

I guess one other thing that might be worth mentioning is that this project has been divided up into 5 architectural/structural files that are all linked into my model. They all share the same grids and elevations, so I just copied the structural ones as it seems to be the "base" of the project. Would I have to copy the grids and elevations out of all five linked models? I was hoping to avoid that because then I am left with 5 overlaping sets of elevations and grids.... it might get a little confusing, and seems redundant to me.

As always, thanks for the help, its much appreciated.
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby revit7777 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:11 pm

The levels, that I am probably incorrectly refering to as elevations, are the horizontal lines through the model when you look at it through a section view that are titled and have an elevation number, or depth, correct? Hopefully that isn't my problem that I am copying the wrong things.

Assuming that what I am refering to as elevations are indeed the levels, I went through the copy/monitor proceedure,, clicking on the link, clicking on copy, then multiple, and holding CTRL clicking all the levels that I wanted to copy, then clicking finish. I will have to have a better look tomorrow as something else has become an emergency today. I'll let you know what I figure out, thanks again.
revit7777

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:15 pm

revit7777 wrote:The levels, that I am probably incorrectly refering to as elevations, are the horizontal lines through the model when you look at it through a section view that are titled and have an elevation number, or depth, correct? Hopefully that isn't my problem that I am copying the wrong things.

Assuming that what I am refering to as elevations are indeed the levels, I went through the copy/monitor proceedure,, clicking on the link, clicking on copy, then multiple, and holding CTRL clicking all the levels that I wanted to copy, then clicking finish. I will have to have a better look tomorrow as something else has become an emergency today. I'll let you know what I figure out, thanks again.

Yep, those are the Levels. Everything you describe sounds absolutely fine- it should all be working for you. Let me know how you get on and if you would like me to take a closer look at this for you on my Architecture/MEP setup.

Cheers,
Ian
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby revit7777 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Alright, back on the job now. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, the project had to be started over, but at least I was still in the setup stages anyway, so no big deal. It might actually be a good thing given the problems I have been having.

So, I have the model setup again, with the 4 architectural and 1 structural link in my model. They all share the same grid lines and levels. Do I need to copy all of them out of the 5 links, or just one? And, does it matter from what view I copy them from? I did it from the East section view before, and I don't know what view other than a section I would be able to do this from.

Anyway, I'll wait to see if there are any recomendations or suggestions anyone has to try and make sure that the copied levels show up when setting up my view range. Thanks.
revit7777

Postby revit7777 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:13 pm

HAHA!!, Through some playing around, I believe I have figured it out. Originally I had renamed a default floor plan, but this time, I made a new one, and all my levels are there. Along with that. I also deleted the default level 1 and 2. I don't know which of those made the difference, but it looks pretty simple now. I didn't even have to setup the view range, I just started a new floor plan based on the level I wanted and Revit did the rest.

Well that made my day, thanks again to everyone and the suggestions, I do appreciate it.
revit7777

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:49 pm

So glad you got it sorted :)

I am intrigued though! Why so many different architectural models linked in? What is the relationship between all the various models? Is everyone linking in everyone else's models- in order to monitor changes??? :shock:

Cheers,
Ian

revit7777 wrote:HAHA!!, Through some playing around, I believe I have figured it out. Originally I had renamed a default floor plan, but this time, I made a new one, and all my levels are there. Along with that. I also deleted the default level 1 and 2. I don't know which of those made the difference, but it looks pretty simple now. I didn't even have to setup the view range, I just started a new floor plan based on the level I wanted and Revit did the rest.

Well that made my day, thanks again to everyone and the suggestions, I do appreciate it.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Next

Return to Revit MEP: General questions