Project Browser

This forum is for the general discussion of Revit MEP

Project Browser

Postby shorty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi guys trying to get my head around the mep side of things and brought a mastering autodesk revit mep 2013 book to help. I am struggling straight away with the project browser, i have drawn the structure of my house and would like to try and put the boiler and pipe work in. The first i need to do is create my own pipe and fittings and in the book in there project browser it has pipe and fittings there to duplicate etc but i dont have all them just pipe types and pipe systems. When i opened a new project up on a mechanical template they were there. So how do i get my architectual model into a mechanical template? or can i do something else? very confused please help. :)

Many thnaks

Shorty
shorty

Re: Project Browser

Postby nealmac » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:43 am

YOU'RE confused? lol.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. It sounds like you're looking to merge an existing model with a mechanical template. Although I think you're trying to do it arse about face :D

I'm not really familiar with MEP, but what I'm about to describe applies right across the board for all variations of Revit.

Instead of trying to get your "architectural model into a mechanical template" as you describe, you need to transfer the settings from the template to your model. Make sure you have both files open, but the "model" file to the front. Click the "manage" tab, and on the "settings" panel click on "transfer project standards". You'll get a dialogue box asking what you'd like to import from the template file. All you need to do is check/uncheck what you want or don't want to import. In your particular case, you probably need to hit "check all". Once you do that and click on "OK" you'll see that you've imported all the settings for the mechanical template, including pipe types and systems.

Hope this helps.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Postby shorty » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:44 am

Yes Neal you are a legend cheers mate. Now that makes more sense and worked like a dream.
shorty

Postby nealmac » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:49 am

Ha! Hardly a legend. 3 years later and Revit still confuses the s**t out of me :D

Glad it worked for you though :)
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Postby Conman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Some nice MEP intro tutorial here:
http://youtu.be/yV5bOBSxlOU

They advocate the use of a linked architectural file to a standard metric MEP template? Might also work for you.

good luck, i'm just beginning to dip my toe into the MEP dirty water.
Conman

Postby shorty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:05 pm

Yes cheers mate will check that out, and good luck with mep all good fun.
shorty

Return to Revit MEP: General questions