Share revit families?

We take suggestions & feedback very seriously. If you have any issues with Revit Zone or ideas to make it better, we'd love to hear from you.

Share revit families?

Postby James » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:16 am

perhaps in the future we could have a forum/plugin to share revit families?

i have a couple i can upload :)
Plowman Craven aim to be at the forefront of technology, especially within the BIM environment.
James
Regular
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: UK - Northants / Beds

Re: Share revit families?

Postby nealmac » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:35 am

Now this, as a total newbie to Revit, is something I'd like to see. I'm only just learning how to make parametric families at the moment. Also, a lot of the ones you get on Autodeskseek or the like are either very buggy, or just plain crap.

Bring it on I say!
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
User avatar
nealmac
Regular
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:56 am
Location: Ireland, to be sure.

Re: Share revit families?

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:52 am

Great suggestion,

I have given this some thought for a while and will definitely keep it on the "potential ideas" list for the future.

With revit.biz, my aim is to make it the no.1 site for learning and sharing knowledge about the use of Revit. And in doing so, I aim to keep the site VERY focused on what it is trying to do. I learnt a lot from producing the Revit Zone website over the last couple of years. One of the main things I learnt was "don't try and be all things to all men"! I tried to pack so much into Revit Zone, that some areas suffered. The blog was half-hearted, the forums used poor software, there were loads of typo's, etc. I promised articles that weren't delivered, etc, etc.

So with revit.biz, hopefully :? I've got off on the right foot?! I took a long look at the various forum software options. I created a sub-domain so that the forum sits neatly in it's own area. And currently I'm working on the look, feel and content of the main revit.biz website. What I can say is that it will do a few things really well- ie current revit news, the most comprehensive set of revit links on the net, and a small selection of technical articles. The man focus of revit.biz will always be the forums- this is where ideas and knowledge are exchanged.

The purpose of the rant above is to explain that if we do host families in the future, I would want to give this a LOT of thought as to how it would work. For example, it may be best to create a sub-domain (eg families.revit.biz) and have custom library software running that part of the site- so you can browse througha catalogue, etc.

Hope this makes sense?

Cheers Guys,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 pm
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom

Re: Share revit families?

Postby James » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:55 am

yup, and mostly are not very UK friendly!

here is a SS of a window i made, note all detail is in the family (no lines drawn in plan etc)

i got sick of the reveals not returning to the back of the frame...things like these small details annoy me :lol:
Attachments
james_window.PNG
Window where the reveal actually goes to the frame!
james_window.PNG (23.64 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Plowman Craven aim to be at the forefront of technology, especially within the BIM environment.
James
Regular
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:40 pm
Location: UK - Northants / Beds

Re: Share revit families?

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:13 pm

James wrote:things like these small details annoy me :lol:


Many thanks James ;)

Ian

PS: VERY nice window model BTW.
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 pm
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom

Re: Share revit families?

Postby RockDog » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:19 pm

Can I ask how you got the plaster to return along the reveal? I've been struggling with a solution for ages.

James wrote:yup, and mostly are not very UK friendly!

here is a SS of a window i made, note all detail is in the family (no lines drawn in plan etc)

i got sick of the reveals not returning to the back of the frame...things like these small details annoy me :lol:
RockDog
Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Share revit families?

Postby nealmac » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:58 pm

revit.biz wrote:Great suggestion,

I have given this some thought for a while and will definitely keep it on the "potential ideas" list for the future.

With revit.biz, my aim is to make it the no.1 site for learning and sharing knowledge about the use of Revit. And in doing so, I aim to keep the site VERY focused on what it is trying to do. I learnt a lot from producing the Revit Zone website over the last couple of years. One of the main things I learnt was "don't try and be all things to all men"! I tried to pack so much into Revit Zone, that some areas suffered. The blog was half-hearted, the forums used poor software, there were loads of typo's, etc. I promised articles that weren't delivered, etc, etc.

So with revit.biz, hopefully :? I've got off on the right foot?! I took a long look at the various forum software options. I created a sub-domain so that the forum sits neatly in it's own area. And currently I'm working on the look, feel and content of the main revit.biz website. What I can say is that it will do a few things really well- ie current revit news, the most comprehensive set of revit links on the net, and a small selection of technical articles. The man focus of revit.biz will always be the forums- this is where ideas and knowledge are exchanged.

The purpose of the rant above is to explain that if we do host families in the future, I would want to give this a LOT of thought as to how it would work. For example, it may be best to create a sub-domain (eg families.revit.biz) and have custom library software running that part of the site- so you can browse througha catalogue, etc.

Hope this makes sense?

Cheers Guys,
Ian

If you didn't want to create a sub-domain, another option would be to dedicate a forum purely for the exchange of families. But you would have to organise this forum alphabetically, as opposed to the usual "by date" format.

Just a thought.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
User avatar
nealmac
Regular
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:56 am
Location: Ireland, to be sure.

Re: Share revit families?

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:15 pm

nealmac wrote:If you didn't want to create a sub-domain, another option would be to dedicate a forum purely for the exchange of families. But you would have to organise this forum alphabetically, as opposed to the usual "by date" format.


That's definitley an option. I think with Joomla (the Content Managemenht System behind revit.biz, there are various options for plug-ins to organise and manage "file catalogues"- I'll have to look into it. Creating the sub-domain is no problem in itself. I just use the website control panel.

There are 3 factors in the choice of solution:-
a) ease of use for the site visitor
b) ease of maintenance for the site admin (me!)
c) flexibility for the future

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 pm
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom

Re: Share revit families?

Postby Barringtonarch » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:34 am

Hi Guys
Our company just (a couple of weeks ago) launched a sharing site at http://www.bimstop.com - much for the same reason, we were getting frustrated at no place for everybody to easily upload & share.

We have actually started building some families for a couple of UK manufacturers to, which we will upload soon. But would love some suggestions of other manufacturers families you would like to see?
Barringtonarch
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:25 am

Re: Share revit families?

Postby Revit Zone » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:42 am

Barringtonarch wrote:Hi Guys
Our company just (a couple of weeks ago) launched a sharing site at http://www.bimstop.com - much for the same reason, we were getting frustrated at no place for everybody to easily upload & share.

We have actually started building some families for a couple of UK manufacturers to, which we will upload soon. But would love some suggestions of other manufacturers families you would like to see?


Hi there, and welcome to our forums :D

Great to see that you have a good repository for BIM components. Also some very interesting BIM reading on your blog. Maybe at some time in the future, we could do a feature on your company and how you are promoting and advancing the BIM world? This probably wont be for some time yet as there are some really pressing priorities for Revit Zone. But in the not-too-distant feature, I would really like to have a "Features" section of the main website that focuses on industry professionals and companies thyat work with Revit.

In the meantime, any feedback (with your Revit experience) you can offer on what you have seen at Revit Zone and what it offers, would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 pm
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom

Next

Return to Suggestions & Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron