Using Worksharing when working on theproject alone

Any questions relating to Worksharing, Worksets, Central Files, Coordination, etc; should be posted here

Using Worksharing when working on theproject alone

Postby Martin1972 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:20 pm

I have read somewhere that its a good idea to enable Worksharing even if you are the only user on a project.

Can someone who has experience of working in this way please explain it to me?

I'm assuming that the main reason to do this is to conserve memory? ie unload the worksets you are not usin?

Do people also do this to better organise their model? If so, I can't quite get my head around this as Revit already provides a good way to organise the model with it's category system :?

So if I want to go ahead and work like this, what do I do? I know I hit the "Enable Worksets" button and this then creates a central file. But do I actually open and work on the central file all the time? Or do I then create a local copy and keep syncing it to the central file?

Sorry for all the questions :oops: But if there's a better way of doing something with Revit, I want to fully understand it.

Many thanks
Martin
Martin1972

Re: Using Worksharing when working on theproject alone

Postby tim123 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:58 pm

I can recommend using worksets even if you're the only one working on the project. I do this almost immediately when I start a new project for the following reasons:
Much quicker to work and save to my C drive and then on closing the project, synchronise with Central.
I can work on the project and then open another copy on a different computer to render.
Its easy to group and turn stuff off - I would create a workset for things like entourage, turned off in view by default, for things like furniture, decals, pictures and other extras that you do not want in drawings generally, but are required for rendering views. Without a workset these would generally be visible in all views, so you would have to switch them off each time. The same would apply for things like additional buildings on the site - create a different workset for them nad they will not bog you down.

Once you have enabled worksets, save the file and close it. Allow Revit to create a central file. Now click open and browse to the central file. There is a tick box that says create new local file. Keep this checked to avoid opening the central file. Now save the file to the required location - I do this to my C drive and only save to central when I close the project - look at Revit Options to change the way Revit saves the project.

Hope that helps.
tim123
Regular

Postby Martin1972 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Thanks for the help with this. It makes a lot of sense

Martin
Martin1972

Postby Williamjacks01 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:55 am

BetaCoder.com is the ultimate freelance jobs website. We have thousands of professional freelancers ready to bid on your outsourced projects. find your Freelance Work Online.
Williamjacks01

Return to Worksharing & Worksets