Worksharing when you have other linked Revit Files (HELP!!!)

Any questions relating to Worksharing, Worksets, Central Files, Coordination, etc; should be posted here

Worksharing when you have other linked Revit Files (HELP!!!)

Postby SteveP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi there,

Let me start by explaining what I want to do. Then hopefully someone can advise me on the best way to do it.

I need to create a Revit project that will be worked on by several people- so obviously I'm looking at Worksharing and Worksets.

I also want to keep the building and the site seperate (ie in seperate revit files)

Most of the design team will be working on the building file only. I don't need to workshare the site file.

So...... :?

I am obviously going to have a central file (and local files) for the "Building" project.

Now: Do I then link the central file into the site file, OR do I link in one of the local copies into the site file. Does it make much difference which of these methods I adopt. If I link in the Central File- will I end up getting error message when staff try to sync to central- as the central file will be marked as open and in use while it's being accessed by the site file?

Thanks in advance for any help. I just want to get it set up correctly from the start.

Re: Worksharing when you have other linked Revit Files (HELP!!!)

Postby tim123 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:16 pm

I would suggest that you link the site file into the central file, using a separate workset. In this way, the information will be available to all users and will not cause a conflict. The site workset can be switched off in the views using VG (or off by default when the workset is created), or the link switched off.

Return to Worksharing & Worksets