Worksharing when you have other linked Revit Files (HELP!!!)

Any questions relating to Worksharing, Worksets, Central Files, Coordination, etc; should be posted here

Worksharing when you have other linked Revit Files (HELP!!!)

Postby SteveP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi there,

Let me start by explaining what I want to do. Then hopefully someone can advise me on the best way to do it.

I need to create a Revit project that will be worked on by several people- so obviously I'm looking at Worksharing and Worksets.

I also want to keep the building and the site seperate (ie in seperate revit files)

Most of the design team will be working on the building file only. I don't need to workshare the site file.

So...... :?

I am obviously going to have a central file (and local files) for the "Building" project.

Now: Do I then link the central file into the site file, OR do I link in one of the local copies into the site file. Does it make much difference which of these methods I adopt. If I link in the Central File- will I end up getting error message when staff try to sync to central- as the central file will be marked as open and in use while it's being accessed by the site file?

Thanks in advance for any help. I just want to get it set up correctly from the start.

Steve
SteveP

Re: Worksharing when you have other linked Revit Files (HELP!!!)

Postby tim123 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:16 pm

I would suggest that you link the site file into the central file, using a separate workset. In this way, the information will be available to all users and will not cause a conflict. The site workset can be switched off in the views using VG (or off by default when the workset is created), or the link switched off.
tim123
Regular

Return to Worksharing & Worksets