"Make Workset Editable"????

Any questions relating to Worksharing, Worksets, Central Files, Coordination, etc; should be posted here

"Make Workset Editable"????

Postby Olly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Can anyone please explain the basic concepts of worksets to me? :? I just cant get my head around it.

Why do I need to make a workset editable? Revit seems to allow me to work with all elements whether this atribute is set or not?

thanks in advance

Olly
Olly

Re: "Make Workset Editable"????

Postby Saw » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:03 am

Worksets aren't too bad really. They are just a way of organising elements into groups. For example, you may want to put all the external envelope (walls, windows, doors, etc) into a single workset called "Envelope"- then one person can work on this, while other memebers of the team work on other elements of the project.

Mike
Saw
Regular

Postby Revit Zone » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Olly wrote:Can anyone please explain the basic concepts of worksets to me? :? I just cant get my head around it.

Why do I need to make a workset editable? Revit seems to allow me to work with all elements whether this atribute is set or not?

thanks in advance

Olly

OK, so Worksets in a nut shell:-

1) Use worksets to organise and group different objects or systems in your model- ie the shell of a building (walls, doors, windows, roof, etc) on one workset, furniture on another, etc, etc.
2) Ony Open (ie load) the worksets you actually need- this really helps when your model gets big
3) Use worksets to control visibility (LOADS of debate on whether this is a good or bad idea!)
4) Use Worksets to control who has control of which elements at any one time

Number 4 relates to your query of "editable or non-editable":-

You make a workset "Editable" if you wany sole control / ownership over the entire workset and all elements that currently reside on it. If you do, then anyone else wishing to edit one of "your" elements needs to make an "Editing Request" to you- which you can grant or deny :shock:

If you can, leave all worksets set to "Non-Editable". This basically leave Revit to act as the owner of everything. All elements are up for grabs on a first come, first served basis. Only when someone else has beat you to an individual element, will you need to request it from them- they can give up the control of that element to you by "saving to central"- which will relinquish the element from them and allow you to do as you wish with it.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Olly » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:35 pm

many thanks for your help with this guys.

To be honest, I've forgot I'd posted the question! Your info is very helpful though.
Olly

Return to Worksharing & Worksets