Conflict with Linked Model

Any questions relating to Worksharing, Worksets, Central Files, Coordination, etc; should be posted here

Conflict with Linked Model

Postby JJuarez » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:46 pm

I trying to setup a project in Revit 2013. On my local file I am trying to link the central file I have created (copied central file from network to my local drive).
The error I get when trying to link is as follows : Linked model H:\My Central\ filename.rvt and the host file are versions of the same workshared model. The link will be unloaded.
Can someone please advise on what I am doing wrong.
Thanks
James
JJuarez

Re: Conflict with Linked Model

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:50 pm

JJuarez wrote:I trying to setup a project in Revit 2013. On my local file I am trying to link the central file I have created (copied central file from network to my local drive).
The error I get when trying to link is as follows : Linked model H:\My Central\ filename.rvt and the host file are versions of the same workshared model. The link will be unloaded.
Can someone please advise on what I am doing wrong.
Thanks
James

Hi :)

Just so I understand, can I ask why you are trying to link the Central File into a Local copy of it?

Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby JJuarez » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Ian,
Thanks for your quick reply.
First....because I thought that is what I needed to do?
I have attached some dwg floor plans and I can not attach electrical outlets to the walls.
So that is the reason I thought I needed to link the revit architectural backgrounds??
JJuarez

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:26 pm

So going back to the beginning......

You have a Revit project
You have set it up for Worksharing. At this point, can you tell us why you are Worksharing the Project? Is it because you are working on it with someone else????

Sorry if it seems Inam asking indirect questions rather than giving answers! :oops: it's just that I need to fully understand your scenario and reasoning so that I can offer the best, most appropriate advice.

Kind regards,
Ian

JJuarez wrote:Ian,
Thanks for your quick reply.
First....because I thought that is what I needed to do?
I have attached some dwg floor plans and I can not attach electrical outlets to the walls.
So that is the reason I thought I needed to link the revit architectural backgrounds??
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby JJuarez » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:03 pm

Ian,

It's ok if you ask me questions. I will try to explain my answers to you.
I am setting it up for Worksharing so that my co-worker in my office can also work on it.
We are both beginners and I am trying to understand on how to setup the project.
When setup properly, we want to learn the Electrical side of Revit 2013.

James
JJuarez

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:34 pm

JJuarez wrote:Ian,

It's ok if you ask me questions. I will try to explain my answers to you.
I am setting it up for Worksharing so that my co-worker in my office can also work on it.
We are both beginners and I am trying to understand on how to setup the project.
When setup properly, we want to learn the Electrical side of Revit 2013.

James

Hi James.

Right then. So you and your co-worker need to work on the same project- so Worksharing is for you :)

All you need to do is enable Worksharing- which will 1) create default "Worksets" and 2) Create a Central File.

Once you have done this- you need to EACH open the Central file and save a local copy. After doing this- you should not need to open / interact with the Central File again. (there are exceptions- but I won't confuse the issue right now)

OK. So far, so good. And I think you have already taken these steps?

You now mention a DWG import????

With DWG files, you can either Link them in or Import them in- depending on whether you expect the contents of the DWG file to change at all.

Did you already import / link this DWG in BEFORE you enabled Worksharing- or are you linking it into your Local Copy? Doesnt make any difference in reality- if you do it to your local copy it'll synchronise to the Central file and then to your collegue's local copy, when they "Synch with Central"

But after all said and done, there is no scenario where you would Link in the Central File to your Local Copy. The only purpose of the Central File is to act as a "Hub"- and collect all the changes made from everbody's Local File. With this in mind, you can appreciate how the Central File should be left well alone once it is established. Revit will handle all the syncing-side of things. You just need to interface with your Local Copies.

In the context of all the above, can you give us a bit more detail on what you are now trying to achieve- over and above the steps already taken?

Regards,
Ian
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby JJuarez » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Thank you for the information Ian.
I will try what you have posted on here and see what I can do.

James
JJuarez

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 pm

JJuarez wrote:Thank you for the information Ian.
I will try what you have posted on here and see what I can do.

James

You're VERY welcome, James.

Please let us know how you get on. If you need any more help with this, just ask- we'll get it sorted for you. :)

Regards,
Ian
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Return to Worksharing & Worksets