Revit or SketchUp for concept work?

Use this forum for the discussion of Revit Architecture's Conceptual Design Environment

Revit or SketchUp for concept work?

Postby HJS » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:56 am

I have been using SketchUp for a number of years now for early concept work. I use Revit for everything else (eg modeling and detailing). Is it worth learing all the CDE tools just to achieve the same thing that SketchUp can do? Does anyone "really" use the CDE within Revit for concept work? thanks
HJS

Re: Revit or SketchUp for concept work?

Postby Saw » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:13 pm

I have used Sketchup a long time ago- we are talking many years :? I remember it being very "fluid" and intuitive.

But to be honest, I finf the built-in tools in Revit's CDE to be easy to use. IMHO it is better to keep everthing all within one package if you can. This keeps with the whole ethos of BIM- cutting down on the opportunity for error or miscommunication. Also keep in mind that once you start creating actual model elements from your mass forms, you can always go back and adjust the concept study and have the model elements adjust accordingly. I would imaging that this is going to be a real pain if you have to start reimporting sketchup geometry everytime you want to try out some changes?
Saw
Regular

Return to Conceptual Design Environment