BIM using 2D CAD?

This Forum is for the discussion of BIM (Building Information Modelling) in general. Here you can discuss the theory, concept, implementaion of BIM, etc.

BIM using 2D CAD?

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:30 am

Our office is still using AutoCAD for the production of 2D details. We also use Revit Architecture to model the building for the production of the general arrangement information. Is this still considered "true" BIM or would we need to move completely to Revit?

Our current workflow suits us but I'm just wondering....
Yoda

Re: BIM using 2D CAD?

Postby Revit Zone » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:21 pm

You need to keep in mind that Revit us not "BIM". BIM is more of a mind set and a way of working- rather than any specific tool.

YES, you definitely can "do" BIM with a combination of Revit and AutoCAD. You can "do" BIM with just Revit. You can "do" bim with paper and pencil if you really wanted to.

Out of personal interest, can I ask the reason why you use ahybrid of Revit and AutoCAD? (You do know that Revit handles 2D drafted details VERY well?)

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Conman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:09 pm

The government has various BIM levels in their strategy for 2016. If I remember correctly 2D CAD and a project intranet is BIM level 1ish.
Conman

Postby hitechengineering » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:55 am

Building Information Modeling or BIM has been evolving very fast with 3D, 4D and upto 5D coordination is available in the market. In construction world Revit is equivalent to BIM now and offers some great advantages like early clash detection and comprehensive cost estimation while using Revit Families for objects and building blocks.
hitechengineering

Postby RockDog » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Conman wrote:The government has various BIM levels in their strategy for 2016. If I remember correctly 2D CAD and a project intranet is BIM level 1ish.

Yes, 2D CAD is typical Level 1. But you can use it for any level of BIM- but it just makes your job a lot harder :shock:
RockDog

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 pm

hitechengineering wrote:Building Information Modeling or BIM has been evolving very fast with 3D, 4D and upto 5D coordination is available in the market. In construction world Revit is equivalent to BIM now and offers some great advantages like early clash detection and comprehensive cost estimation while using Revit Families for objects and building blocks.

Hi there Hitechengineering! :D

A VERY warm welcome to our Revit community. Many apologies for the delay in the approval of your first post- this was due a glitch my end, resulting in me not being notified that your post was pending approval. :oops:

Glad to have you on board :D

Kind regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby anniesmith » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:51 am

Once your firm has decided to make the move, pick your first project and commit 100% to the BIM tools you have selected. This may be Revit Architecture, Structure or MEP, or perhaps Navisworks and QTO. It can be tempting to jump back to your previous tools, as they will seem easier or faster early in the process.
anniesmith

Return to BIM (Building Information Modelling): General