Tapered walls

This forum is for the general discussion of Revit Architecture

Tapered walls

Postby jenningsfeock » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:33 am

Hi - I'm trying to "build" a stone faced wall that has a base width of 1000mm & a top width of 600mm [length & height to vary] but Revit doesn't seem to like things that aren't parallel!

It doesn't seem possible to edit any of the generic walls in the library to get the desired effect? I presume i need to use the family editor in conjunction with the "blend" command but which family template will allow the the resultant wall to host doors etc? The wall family seems only to have the "parallel lines option" or is there another way to tackle the issue?

Your comments would be much appreciated.
jenningsfeock

Re: Tapered walls

Postby Revit Zone » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi,

Yes, you're right- the Wall 'System Family" in Revit needs to be parallel.

However, all is not lost. I would create this as an "in-place" component and select "Walls" as your Category. You will be able to insert doors and windows just fine. With regards the actual modelling of the vertical taper- just you can tackle this in various ways using the different solid modelling tools. Ie you may want to sketch your tapered profile in elevation and then extrude this along the plan length of the wall, for example.

Let us know how you get on.
Hope this helps?

Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby jenningsfeock » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 am

Hi Ian - thanks for your response - I'll give it a go! The same issue [walls that are not parallel] has a similar problem with dimensions i.e. in addition to the tapered wall problem that I mentioned in my first email this project doesn't have any walls that are parallel to each other or that intersect at 90 degrees! I'm having to add parallel drafting lines to the end of each wall & dimension those lines rather than the wall - is that the only option?

Terry
jenningsfeock

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:48 pm

jenningsfeock wrote:Hi Ian - thanks for your response - I'll give it a go! The same issue [walls that are not parallel] has a similar problem with dimensions i.e. in addition to the tapered wall problem that I mentioned in my first email this project doesn't have any walls that are parallel to each other or that intersect at 90 degrees! I'm having to add parallel drafting lines to the end of each wall & dimension those lines rather than the wall - is that the only option?

Terry

Hi Terry,

When you're trying to dimension to a specific point- keep one finger on the TAB key. Just tap it a couple of times- each tap of the TAB key forces Revit to cycle throught all the things it can find nearest to the cursor- it's al out like a 'dynamic Snap' tool. Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby jenningsfeock » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:02 am

Hi Ian - thanks for the advice - I have managed to insert a tapered wall & it looks good. Although some of the wall functions work fine [insertion of doors & windows] I note that you can't allocate levels [start/end heights] or get the wall to attach to a roof - is that correct? Terry
jenningsfeock

Postby Revit Zone » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Terry,

You can work-around the Levels issue. You should be able to set up Project Parameters that you can use to control the base and top of the walls- you do this through theuse of formular and Reference Planes which you can then link to existing Levels in your model. Hope this makes sense?

Regards,
Ian
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Return to Revit Architecture: General questions