Core boundaries in Walls Theoretical Question

This forum is for the general discussion of Revit Architecture

Core boundaries in Walls Theoretical Question

Postby mont » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:13 pm

I just read the article about applying functions to compound layers - thanks for clarifying so much already! I was wondering if it was explained in a previous article what Core Boundaries mean and how they relate to the Structure layer. My boss wanted to see how walls can be modified to have the specific and actual layers of a real wall we'll be using, and he asked what does Core Boundaries mean and why it has a thickness of 0. I couldn't answer him! Can someone point me to the article that explains more about this? Thanks!
mont

Re: Core boundaries in Walls Theoretical Question

Postby nealmac » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Well a "boundary" is just a line. A line usually has a thickness of "0" so I'm not sure I understand your question.

As for what a core boundary actually means, it's that point along a wall's thickness, where the main make-up joins the finish. For example, if I had a 100mm block wall plastered on both sides, the plasterwork would be outside the core, while the blockwork (the main part of the wall) would be inside the core. It's useful to have a differentiation between the 2. If for example you were dimensioning a room, normally you would want the dimensions to snap to the blockwork on the wall, rather than the finished face, because these are the dimension a block layer will want to see.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Return to Revit Architecture: General questions