Point Clouds in 2014

This forum is for the general discussion of Revit Architecture

Point Clouds in 2014

Postby nealmac » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:44 pm

I'm having serious issues with Revit crawling at a snail's pace whenever I bring a point cloud into it. Can Anyone help me? I've done all the usual setting up plan views and sections with minimal view range to minimise background noise, but still no joy.

1: I've read that I need to break the point cloud file into smaller pieces. If this is true, how do I go about doing it? It's in RCP format.

2: I've used Recap to get my RCS files (3 in total) into RCP format, as I believe this is the correct way to do it in 2014.

3: What is "indexing" files? I'm unser the impression that it's the process of making a point cloud "workable" in Revit. I may be wrong on this.

I think what I need, is a proper step by step tutorial on how to bring the point cloud file into Revit, in the correct manner, in the correct format that doesn't slow Revit down.

Thanks.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Re: Point Clouds in 2014

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:20 pm

Let's us know how you get on Neal :)

I'm no point-cloud expert, so I'll have to look to others to hopefully answer your query.

I'll have more time after March to get into point-clouds and everything Revit- because I'm going full time BIM/Revit for myself :) expect a LOT more articles / tutorials in the near future! :) :) :)

Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby nealmac » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks Ian. I'm counting on you lol.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Postby Revit Zone » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:42 pm

nealmac wrote:Thanks Ian. I'm counting on you lol.

You most certainly can. Last date of current employment 31 March- and then I'm on my own! :)

Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Revit Zone » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:43 pm

almost forgot......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you're celebrating it in an appropriate Irish manner???!!!!!
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby nealmac » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:02 am

Haha, cheers Ian. Nah, it was a 36th birthday. Not enough of a landmark to go out and get pissed.
nealmac
Regular

Postby James » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 am

i have been helping out where i can, if anyone requires information about point clouds - let me know! :D
Plowman Craven aim to be at the forefront of technology, especially within the BIM environment.
James
Regular

Postby nealmac » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:31 am

Just for the record, I'd like to say that James has been a fantastic help behind the scenes. Thanks a million for all your efforts, mate.
nealmac
Regular

Postby Revit Zone » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 am

James wrote:i have been helping out where i can, if anyone requires information about point clouds - let me know! :D

Many thanks James- I'm sure I'll be in touch in the near future! :)

Regards,
Ian
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Return to Revit Architecture: General questions