New to revit, material change not working

This forum is for the general discussion of Revit Architecture

New to revit, material change not working

Postby jamiepollock643 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:43 am

Hi, sorry to ask a simple question but im working on a sports building, and the ground floor has been split using the split face tool, however im now looking to change the material of the original floor but it doesnt seem to change at all now. Its only the top surface, it seems to always revert back to what it has been set originally. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
jamiepollock643

Re: New to revit, material change not working

Postby Revit Zone » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:31 am

Hi there :)

Please dont apologise for asking questions :) Every question is good if it helps progress.

The Split face tool does just what it says- ie it just splits the "face" of the mass- the mass is still one object and can only have one material. You can however apply material as a "paint" to the faces of objects- this is usually what the Split face tool is used for- so you can "paint" different portions of your object with different materials- it doesnt really help with Material Scheduling- in fact it can make things more confusing- because now the Schedule does not report what you are seeing visually.

Rather than splitting the face of the floor- is it more appropriate to actually have two seperate floor components?

Hope this helps?
Please come back to us with more questions / screenshots, if required.

Kind regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Re: New to revit, material change not working

Postby nealmac » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:56 am

Yep, I'll second Ian's bit about having 2 seperate floor components. The split face command can be quite sketchy (no pun intended :D ) at the best of times. Simplicity it the key to sucessfully using Revit as far as I'm concerned.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Return to Revit Architecture: General questions