Correct order for contraining extrusion geometry?

For all discussion of Component Familes (eg 3D familes, 2D detail familes, annotation families, etc) and also In-Place Families

Correct order for contraining extrusion geometry?

Postby HJS » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:56 am

When I create an extrusion, should I be using labelled dimensions directly onto the sketch lines of the extrusion- or is it best practice to dimension to reference planes / lines first? Does it make any difference? A few time recently when creating families, I have received the "Unable to constrain geometry" error messages. I just wondered if this had anything to do with it?
HJS

Re: Correct order for contraining extrusion geometry?

Postby Saw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:09 pm

HJS wrote:When I create an extrusion, should I be using labelled dimensions directly onto the sketch lines of the extrusion- or is it best practice to dimension to reference planes / lines first? Does it make any difference? A few time recently when creating families, I have received the "Unable to constrain geometry" error messages. I just wondered if this had anything to do with it?

Personally I would get into the habit of only ever contraining / dimensioning to the referecne planes / lines- and never to the sketch lines of the geometry. That way, you can flex your "skeleton" of referecnme planes and lines long before you start adding the geometry to it. You'll save yourself a lot of time and effort in the long run.

Just my opinion.

Mike
Saw
Regular

Return to Family creation & editing