Importing materials into a family template

For all discussion of Component Familes (eg 3D familes, 2D detail familes, annotation families, etc) and also In-Place Families

Importing materials into a family template

Postby Revit69 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:59 am

Is there a way to import materials into a new family template? Everytime I start a new family I only have access to about 5 default materials? Do I really have to create all my materials again from scratch for each family? :shock:
Revit69

Re: Importing materials into a family template

Postby Saw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Revit69 wrote:Is there a way to import materials into a new family template? Everytime I start a new family I only have access to about 5 default materials? Do I really have to create all my materials again from scratch for each family? :shock:

Why do you need to create all the material definitions in the family template? I think you may be a little confused with how materials work in Revit? All you need to do is duplicate one of the default materials and give it an appropriate name, ie "timber door frame"- upon naming it- do NOT bother changing any other attribute about the material, in the family. When you load this family into a project environment, just make sure that Project has a material called "timber door frame" (ewith all the correct attributes) and your family will display correctly.

To put it another way, just make sure your project template file contains all the materials you need- you do NOT need them in the family templates.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Saw
Regular

Postby Revit69 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 pm

thnaks for your help. Are the material names case-sensitive. ie do I have to make sure they are EXACTLY the same between family material and project material?
Revit69

Postby nealmac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:30 pm

The best way to do this is to assign a "material" parameter(s) to the family when you are creating it. Then you can change the material when you load it into your project. No point in clogging up a family file with a load of materials. Assign your materials to your family from within the project file, once you have loaded it in.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Return to Family creation & editing