Window problems - brain lock

For all discussion of Component Familes (eg 3D familes, 2D detail familes, annotation families, etc) and also In-Place Families

Window problems - brain lock

Postby James » Wed May 09, 2012 1:13 pm

Im trying to create a bay splayed window (as one) and having problems, as the splay part @ 45 degrees has bits of wall then it returns to the straight wall.

___/----\_____ like this :lol:

Problem is, in window editor, i cannot change the wall shape and it only gives me a straight piece, where i need two 45 degree pieces of wall.

any ideas?
Plowman Craven aim to be at the forefront of technology, especially within the BIM environment.
James
Regular

Re: Window problems - brain lock

Postby Saw » Tue May 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Can you create a splayed void object (controlled with parameters) to "eat away at the wall" to create the effect you're after?

Just a thought.

Mike
Saw
Regular

Postby apetitde » Mon May 21, 2012 2:09 pm

I'd definitely use a curtain wall for this, unless you've got numerous identical windows.
All the more since you can use concrete walls (or whaterver you like) as panels for the lower part.
Antoine Petitdemange
AXE Architecture - Lyon - France
http://www.axearchilyon.fr
apetitde

Postby Martin1972 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:39 pm

apetitde wrote:I'd definitely use a curtain wall for this, unless you've got numerous identical windows.
All the more since you can use concrete walls (or whaterver you like) as panels for the lower part.

Could you please explain how you would use a curtain wall in this scenario?

thanks
Martin1972

Postby apetitde » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Well, I would cut an opening in the main masonry wall.
Then just add 3 or more segments of curtain wall, with a simple type (glass panels, no subdivisions)
Then I would manually add subdivisions and mullions.
You can select mullions and panels with the tab key, and replace them with any type you like (for instance replace the lower ones with masonry walls)
And voilà !
You can also create an in-place window if you like, so you can save them and use them in numerous places.
Antoine Petitdemange
apetitde

Postby RockDog » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 pm

apetitde wrote:Well, I would cut an opening in the main masonry wall.
Then just add 3 or more segments of curtain wall, with a simple type (glass panels, no subdivisions)
Then I would manually add subdivisions and mullions.
You can select mullions and panels with the tab key, and replace them with any type you like (for instance replace the lower ones with masonry walls)
And voilà !
You can also create an in-place window if you like, so you can save them and use them in numerous places.

I can see what you're doing here- but I cant see how this would actually cut a "splayed" opening in the host wall? Surely the reveals in the host wall will be simply perpendicular to the length of the wall. I "think" the original poster wishes to have the reveals return across the wall at an angle?
RockDog

Postby apetitde » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi there
After a little more google image search, I see now what you mean by "splayed window"
(I didn't know this word, so I just thought, according to your drawing, it was a kind of exterior bow-window)
Saw's solution (a parametric splayed void) will do just fine in your case.
Antoine Petitdemange
apetitde

Return to Family creation & editing