Linked files in families

For all discussion of Component Familes (eg 3D familes, 2D detail familes, annotation families, etc) and also In-Place Families

Linked files in families

Postby highway6 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:50 pm

First time user.. so my apologies if this is in the wrong subforum or has been addressed before.

Issue at hand is Architectural Stamp security.

If you are constantly giving copies of your model out to consultants, you can't just have your stamp as a jpg in your titleblock. You have to constantly remove and re-insert the jpg in the titleblock in between printing sets in-house and sending your model out to consultants. No bueno!

I know one such solution out there is to have multiple titleblocks... but again.. like above,... swapping out titleblocks, purging copying file, reloading 1st titleblock etc.... not a good solution in my book.

Ideally, you want to have the signature linked in, right ? Have the jpg in its own .dwg that you can link into the project. That way all you have to do before copying the file for consultants is unload the link, that way when they open the project, its a dead link and they don't have the seal. And this works for smaller projects... but the drawback to this solution is you have to place the linked file on every sheet... as a legend I imagine... and its now floating around on each sheet where it can be accidentally shifted or erased.

So... big question. Why doesn't Revit allow us to link files into Titleblocks ? As a workaround, I tried creating a new General annotation family, and it too doesn't allow linked files? So.... do any families allow linked files in them ??

If not.. could people please share how they handle this security issue ?

Thanks
highway6

Re: Linked files in families

Postby Revit Zone » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi there :)

Many apologies for the delay in replying.

It's a really interesting issue that you raise.

So let me just make sure that I have the issue correct in my mind.....

You need to be able to add (or remove) at will, a "stamp" onto your titleblock- depending if you are about to issue them to consultants, etc?

With that in mind.... how about just creating a Shared Parameter (of the Text type) that you place at the appropriate location on your titleblock- that you can then change at will- ie just the same as the drawing number, project code, etc- you would set the font to be a LOT larger, to replicate your stamp.

OR...... you could include your stamp as a JPEG and use an ON/OFF instance parameter to control it's visibility?

These are justa couple of thoughts on how you might solve this. If either of these sound useful and you need some help with them, just say- and we can start to have a look next week.

Kind regards,
Ian

highway6 wrote:First time user.. so my apologies if this is in the wrong subforum or has been addressed before.

Issue at hand is Architectural Stamp security.

If you are constantly giving copies of your model out to consultants, you can't just have your stamp as a jpg in your titleblock. You have to constantly remove and re-insert the jpg in the titleblock in between printing sets in-house and sending your model out to consultants. No bueno!

I know one such solution out there is to have multiple titleblocks... but again.. like above,... swapping out titleblocks, purging copying file, reloading 1st titleblock etc.... not a good solution in my book.

Ideally, you want to have the signature linked in, right ? Have the jpg in its own .dwg that you can link into the project. That way all you have to do before copying the file for consultants is unload the link, that way when they open the project, its a dead link and they don't have the seal. And this works for smaller projects... but the drawback to this solution is you have to place the linked file on every sheet... as a legend I imagine... and its now floating around on each sheet where it can be accidentally shifted or erased.

So... big question. Why doesn't Revit allow us to link files into Titleblocks ? As a workaround, I tried creating a new General annotation family, and it too doesn't allow linked files? So.... do any families allow linked files in them ??

If not.. could people please share how they handle this security issue ?

Thanks
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Return to Family creation & editing