Interference Check: Open doors and MEP equipment

For all discussion of Component Familes (eg 3D familes, 2D detail familes, annotation families, etc) and also In-Place Families

Interference Check: Open doors and MEP equipment

Postby Studio12 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:29 pm

I am trying to find clashes between the MEP equipment and the architectural elements of the project.

I have visually spotted a clash between a piece of MEP equipment and an "open door". But when I run the Interference Check in Revit, it doesn't pick up the clash?

All the MEP equipment is in one model, with the architectural model being linked in- this should't make a differecne to the functioning of the clash detection???

thanks
Studio12

Re: Interference Check: Open doors and MEP equipment

Postby CADmonkey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm assuming you mean there's a clash with the equipment and the door in it's fully open position?

If so, no, Revit wont pick this up in an Interference Check. It only compares the clash between 3D Geometry. If you take a look at the Family of your door in question, you'll see that the door is only modelled (in 3D) in the closed position. The open door leaf and door swing are shown in plan using Symbolic lines. So as far as Revit is concerned there is no clash.

Move your equipment over a bit so that it is in the open door way (ie on the centreline of the wall). Now even though your equipment may not actually be touching anything in plan- I bet you'll find Revit reports a clash- because your equipment is superimposed with the 3D closed door leaf- even though the geometrical door leaf is not visisble in plan.

Hope this makes sense. I would agree that it's a real pain- becuase these are the sorts of real-world clashes you need to know about.

Studio12 wrote:I am trying to find clashes between the MEP equipment and the architectural elements of the project.

I have visually spotted a clash between a piece of MEP equipment and an "open door". But when I run the Interference Check in Revit, it doesn't pick up the clash?

All the MEP equipment is in one model, with the architectural model being linked in- this should't make a differecne to the functioning of the clash detection???

thanks
CADmonkey

Postby Revit Zone » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:49 pm

CADMonkey is quite correct. Interefence Checks in Revit rely on the 3D geometry only. So it's not absolutely foolproof.

One workaround for your door issue (if you really want to detect those "open door" clashes) is to model a "quater of a cylinder" into each door family. You would simply make this not visible in any view- but nonetheless it would exist for the purposes of clash detection. This would then pick up a clash with any object that strayed into it's path.

Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Studio12 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks guys.

OK, have started to play with this. How do I make my extrusiuon not show up in 3D? So far I have gone into the Visibilty Settings for the extrusion and unchecked all the boxes- however, Revit then gives me a warning and re-checks one of the checkboxes (one of the Detail Levels, I tihink).

The clash detection does indeed now work "properly"- I just need to be able to hide the extrusion, when I use this family in the Project Enviroment.

Thanks
Studio12

Postby CADmonkey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Just select your extrusion and take a look at it's Properties. Yiu will see a parameter called "Visible". Simply uncheck this paramater. Job done :)

Studio12 wrote:Thanks guys.

OK, have started to play with this. How do I make my extrusiuon not show up in 3D? So far I have gone into the Visibilty Settings for the extrusion and unchecked all the boxes- however, Revit then gives me a warning and re-checks one of the checkboxes (one of the Detail Levels, I tihink).

The clash detection does indeed now work "properly"- I just need to be able to hide the extrusion, when I use this family in the Project Enviroment.

Thanks
CADmonkey

Return to Family creation & editing