Doors: creating your own door family: part 3 (tutorial)

For all discussion of Component Familes (eg 3D familes, 2D detail familes, annotation families, etc) and also In-Place Families

Doors: creating your own door family: part 3 (tutorial)

Postby Tom Mc » Mon May 06, 2013 2:25 am

Hi Ian et al,
I'm working thru the "creating your own door family" tutorial. I'm part way through part 3. I've created the new reference plane (called 'face of frame') and have created the new parameter (called 'rebate'), and have added a dimension between the new and default ref plane. However, when I select the dimension, the 'LABEL' drop down menu on the options bar dose not contain the new parameter, as you can see in the screen grab below.
revit image.jpg
revit image.jpg (25.21 KiB) Viewed 285 times

When I check in the 'FAMILY TYPES' dialogue box, the new parameter is listed under 'Dimensions' as 'Rebate(default)'. [BTW in Revit 2009, 'dimensions' is not the default place that revit puts the new parameter, but rather puts it into 'Other' by default, but I changed this and put it into 'dimensions']. So the new parameter exists, I just can't locate it. Why has Revit chosen to put the word 'default' next to my newly created name of 'Rebate'?? and does this have an affect on where it is likely to be found?

Any help gratefully appreciated. I'm living in the middle of nowhere (with pumping surf though), with a ridiculously slow internet, and nothing in the way of one on one tutorial learning avaiulable, so this forum is my great hope.

Best regards, Tom
Tom Mc

Re: Doors: creating your own door family: part 3 (tutorial)

Postby Revit Zone » Tue May 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi Tom,

As far as I can tell, the newly created parameter 'should' indeed appear in the drop-down list.

What you could try is.....

Delete the parameter you created and then....
Add the dimesion FIRST- and THEN create the Parameter by using the "create parameter" option in the drop-down Label list.

I can take a look at this for you tomorrow or Thursday- once I have access to Revit again.

Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Tom Mc » Wed May 08, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks Ian,

the method you suggested worked. Bit of a mystery as to why it didn't work the first way that you described, but not to worry. I'll get on with the rest of the tute now.

Regards, Tom
Tom Mc

Postby Tom Mc » Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 pm

More troubles further along the tutorial. Regarding doing the sweep (I've read your previous article on sweeps and read the revit help info also)... I've sketched in the path, as shown in the screen shot, then hit 'finish path'.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (19.54 KiB) Viewed 279 times

However, when I go to 'Sketch> Profile', there is no 'Go To View' dialog popping up (as is stated will happen in the Revit Help) in order to select a plan view in which to sketch the profile. If I simply select a plan view myself (ie 'Ref Level'), the image appears as shown in the second screen grab, and I'm completely unable to draw anything in this view. I cannot complete the sweep. There MUST be something very simple that I'm doing wrong here??
New Picture.jpg
New Picture.jpg (29.75 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Tom Mc

Return to Family creation & editing