Trouble with down-loaded rfa files.

For all discussion of Component Familes (eg 3D familes, 2D detail familes, annotation families, etc) and also In-Place Families

Trouble with down-loaded rfa files.

Postby Blissab » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:16 am

Hello,

Bear with me, because I am trying to learn Revit Architecture 2014.

In any event, I have downloaded an Aluminum Storefront Double Door from AutoDesk Seek. The object is present on the Project Browser.

However, when I try to select the Aluminum Storefront Double Door on the Properties Pallette to insert the object on the First Level of the model, the associated properties of the Properties Palette, becomes grayed-out and inactive and I'm not able to place the object...any thoughts?

Additionally, when I have the AutoDesk Seek downloaded Aluminum Storefront Double Door rfa file opened, I don't seem to be able to "Save As" to the Load From Family folder: Save As>Library>Family...again, any thoughts?

Is there anything, that could give me a step-by-step process that could clear-up the Load Family process?

Thank you,

AB
Blissab

Re: Trouble with down-loaded rfa files.

Postby Blissab » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Anyone?
Blissab

Re: Trouble with down-loaded rfa files.

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi there and welcome :) :) :)

Do you have a section of wall already in your model? Door and window components are "hosted" elements- which mean they need a host to be able to place them. Put a section of wall in and then select your door component. Hover over the wall and you should be able to place the door into the wall.

The Properties panel is only used to bring up the properties of components and elements in the model- it's not really used to actually place the components.

Hope some of this helps. Let us know how you get on and please come back to me if you need more help.

Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Return to Family creation & editing