Asbestos survey

Use this forum for all discussions relating to presentation techniques, graphic styles, walk-throughs, etc

Asbestos survey

Postby Conman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:17 pm

I would like to use a 3D model to hold the results of an asbestos survey. I would like to toggle to show those parts of the buiding (floors, ceilings, individual walls) that present an asbestos risk in a red danger colour.

presumably I can just choosea red asbestos material and individually paint the affected areas?

Is it best to add an 'asbestos' phase and then show 'existing and asbestos' phases? or is there an easier way of doing it via a workset?

the above mail might read that I know both of the options intimately but I don't, I'm learnign as I go so easy fixes are preferred.

Thanks in advance.
Conman
Conman

Re: Asbestos survey

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi :)

What an interesting proposal. I am racking my brains to think how you may want to tackle this one.

At the very simplest level you could just do a graphics override (by element)on a plan- to show the effected areas where asbestos is present.

At the other end of the spectrum, you could create a custom component that you apply to various areas of your model- such that the cmpnent could hold all the relevant data you need- ie asbestos type, risk, notes, survey date, etc. this way, you can also produce this data in a tabula form by scheduling your 'asbestos' component. Even down to telling you what rooms they are in.

I would only add an asbestos phase if you plan on asbestos removal being a distinct activity in your project. To be honest, I would just show it in the existing and have it removed in the proposed- this is obviously only applicable if you use a component to represent the asbestos.

Hope the above makes sense and is useful. Please let us know how get on, which method you plumb for and how it turns out. If you need any further help, just shout :D

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Conman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for the reply,
I like the idea of a custom component because of the embedded data. Presumably I would need to make 1 component per host surface (wall, floor or ceiling). What sort of component would spread itself over a flat surface? Can a material be a custom component?

sounds like i now what I'm on about, doesn't it... :roll:
Conman

Postby Revit Zone » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi ConMan,

How did you get on with this in the end????

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby apetitde » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:14 am

Well, I may be late, but here's the way I would do it:
1. Add a shared parameter "Asbestos" to all components that could have asbestos in them
2. Set this parameter to "yes" where required
3. Create a filter replacing graphics in red where parameter "Asbestos" is set to "yes"
Antoine Petitdemange
AXE Architecture - Lyon - France
http://www.axearchilyon.fr
apetitde

Postby Jimbo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:19 pm

apetitde wrote:Well, I may be late, but here's the way I would do it:
1. Add a shared parameter "Asbestos" to all components that could have asbestos in them
2. Set this parameter to "yes" where required
3. Create a filter replacing graphics in red where parameter "Asbestos" is set to "yes"

I like the sound of this solution. Are the graphics filters easy to set up? Filters are not something I have played around with much.

Jim
Jimbo

Postby Conman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Sound good ..but..
if i added a parameter to a wall type and clicked it 'yes' to show asbestos would't all of the walls throughout the project go red and not just the specific wall on a specific floor wheer the asbestos has been identified?
Or is that what the filter does?
Conman

Postby apetitde » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:42 pm

In this case, do not use type parameters but instance parameters
Create a shared parameter called asbestos
Then add it to your families as instance parameter via Manage > Project parameters > Add
- select your shared parameter
- check all useful categories (walls, doors, windows...)
- do not forget to check "instance" instead of "type" in this window
click "OK", now all walls and doors have an instance parameter called asbestos
Set it to "yes" (or whatever value you like)
Then in each view, V/G > Filters > Add > New
check all useful categories
Filter by "asbestos" equals "yes", click OK
Add this filter, and chose your graphics (for example lines and patterns set to Red)

I hope it's clear, I'm just translating the menu items from Franch, I hope you'll find your way through these explanations.
Antoine Petitdemange
AXE Architecture - Lyon - France
http://www.axearchilyon.fr
apetitde

Postby Conman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 pm

That is awesome...thank you very much :D :D
Conman

Postby RockDog » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:49 pm

Conman wrote:That is awesome...thank you very much :D :D

Yeah, I found this very useful too. Thanks