Display Reduced Levels

Use this forum for all discussions relating to presentation techniques, graphic styles, walk-throughs, etc

Display Reduced Levels

Postby rdavies1973 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:30 am

Got my first query in a long time.

As we all know (in the metric world at least) measurements in architectural drawings are predominantly drawn using millimetres as the unit of measurements.

The two main exceptions I know are: site measurements (which can be too large to tidily express as millimetres so switch them over to metres) ... and ...

... reduced levels.

Not too sure what happens elsewhere, but land surveyors here (Victoria, Australia) nominate their reduced levels in metres. (typical temporary RL benchmark would be 100.0m).

My problem ... if using Revit's proper level tools (levels, spot levels etc), these are all measured in millimetres whic doesn't correlate very well with surveying norms here.

I've done workarounds before (i.e. manual text boxes for RL's, levels etc), I'm thinking there must be an easier way (or just a Revit way that I don't know of).

Any helps/hints most welcome.
rdavies1973

Re: Display Reduced Levels

Postby nealmac » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:50 am

After you place the level, click on it and go into it's "type" properties. Under the "text" heading, there is an option to change the units format. Click on this, uncheck "use project settings" and change the units to "meters". You can also change the "rounding" value to 1, 2 or 3 decimal places, or you set a custom number of decimal places.

Hope this helps :)
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Postby rdavies1973 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 am

HI Neal

Thanks for that. Little bit lost though.

I've clicked on the level, properties comes up but no 'text' heading. Even if I go into 'Edit type' properties within the properties box I can't see a paramter for text.

I know I missing something? Using Revit 2013.
rdavies1973

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:13 pm

nealmac wrote:After you place the level, click on it and go into it's "type" properties. Under the "text" heading, there is an option to change the units format. Click on this, uncheck "use project settings" and change the units to "meters". You can also change the "rounding" value to 1, 2 or 3 decimal places, or you set a custom number of decimal places.

Neal, you're a Star! :D

However did you stumble across this??????

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby nealmac » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:06 pm

rdavies1973 wrote:HI Neal

Thanks for that. Little bit lost though.

I've clicked on the level, properties comes up but no 'text' heading. Even if I go into 'Edit type' properties within the properties box I can't see a paramter for text.

I know I missing something? Using Revit 2013.

See the attached image. I've highlighted where the "units format" button is.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (104.75 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Postby nealmac » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Revit Zone wrote:
nealmac wrote:After you place the level, click on it and go into it's "type" properties. Under the "text" heading, there is an option to change the units format. Click on this, uncheck "use project settings" and change the units to "meters". You can also change the "rounding" value to 1, 2 or 3 decimal places, or you set a custom number of decimal places.

Neal, you're a Star! :D

However did you stumble across this??????

Cheers,
Ian

Sheer stubborness ;)
nealmac
Regular

Postby rdavies1973 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:55 am

Thanks for that Neal

Definately a solution for he spot levels which I can adapt for elevations. Can this be adapted for the normal levels as well?

Rhys
rdavies1973

Postby nealmac » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 am

Not sure I follow. "Normal" levels?
nealmac
Regular

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:08 am

nealmac wrote:Not sure I follow. "Normal" levels?

I think Rhys just means the bog-standard Level Markers (seen in sections and elevations)

I hope I'm right?! :oops:

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby rdavies1973 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:56 am

That's the one ... bog-standard levels. (is that the technical term?) ;)
rdavies1973

Next

Return to Presentation & Graphics