Material Scheduling

Use this forum for all discussions relating to presentation techniques, graphic styles, walk-throughs, etc

Material Scheduling

Postby rdavies1973 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 am

Hi all

I use Revit's "proper" tagging for materials. i.e. assign a description to the material within the materials manager so that it tags correctly in the drawing.

e.g. Tilt Up Slab (colour and/or finish 1): In the material library, the material would be called "Tilt Up Slab - 'nominated colour/finish' " and it would receive a 'Description' of "TUS1".

The crazy thing is ... how do I schedule this up? I have to admit I've just created tables in drafting view to create ad hoc schedules that I can transfer between projects. BUT ... I know this is wrong (or at least not the best method)!

I know how to use keynotes but haven't gone into these for my own smaller projects.

Rhys
rdavies1973

Re: Material Scheduling

Postby Saw » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 pm

rdavies1973 wrote:Hi all

I use Revit's "proper" tagging for materials. i.e. assign a description to the material within the materials manager so that it tags correctly in the drawing.

e.g. Tilt Up Slab (colour and/or finish 1): In the material library, the material would be called "Tilt Up Slab - 'nominated colour/finish' " and it would receive a 'Description' of "TUS1".

The crazy thing is ... how do I schedule this up? I have to admit I've just created tables in drafting view to create ad hoc schedules that I can transfer between projects. BUT ... I know this is wrong (or at least not the best method)!

I know how to use keynotes but haven't gone into these for my own smaller projects.

Rhys

Keynotes is indeed the correct tool for the job. Its worth (IMHO) using Keynotes for all scale of project. Like any of the tools within Revit, once you get used to how it works- it's easier to use the same method consistently.

Mike
Saw
Regular

Postby rdavies1973 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:30 am

Hi Mike

Thanks for that ... it's the answer I was expecting and dreading. Not against using keynotes but another aspect of set-up to get into. All worth it in the I know. :D
rdavies1973

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:50 pm

rdavies1973 wrote:Hi Mike

Thanks for that ... it's the answer I was expecting and dreading. Not against using keynotes but another aspect of set-up to get into. All worth it in the I know. :D

I think you'll really enjoy Keynotes once you get into them. NBS are doing a lot of work with Revit with regards linking Keynotes to the NBS Software. It's a one-way import of NBS Clauses into Keynotes at the moment- but I understand that they're looking at some sort of full 2-way bi-directional sync between Revit and NBS. That would be FANTASTIC. Just imagine- you get to work completely in the Revit environment and it is filliing in your specification for you, in the background! :)

Regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby rdavies1973 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi Ian

I will go for Keynotes ... it's the right thing to do and that's how I want to use Revit.

It still perplexes me ... why does Revit allow us to do material tags if there doesn't seem to be any easy way to schedule them up????!!!

I love Revit overall, but there are still a lot of things that Autodesk have done that seriously irk me about the software.

R
rdavies1973

Postby Revit Zone » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:25 pm

rdavies1973 wrote:Hi Ian

I will go for Keynotes ... it's the right thing to do and that's how I want to use Revit.

It still perplexes me ... why does Revit allow us to do material tags if there doesn't seem to be any easy way to schedule them up????!!!

I love Revit overall, but there are still a lot of things that Autodesk have done that seriously irk me about the software.

R

Hi :)

Let us know how you get on. You're right, KeyNotes (I think!) are probably the best / correct solution in this case. The topic would make a good candidate for a short tutorial, in the future? :)

Kind regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Return to Presentation & Graphics