Phasing frustration!!

Use this forum for all discussions relating to presentation techniques, graphic styles, walk-throughs, etc

Phasing frustration!!

Postby xxjwilson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Does anyone know how to get future phase content to show up in Revit 2013?

Example: I am working on phase 1 of a 7 phase project and we are master planing the entire project. The future phases need to be included, for cost estimating, space planning and equipment ordering. However, when I view phase 1, all work on future phases disappears. I can see existing work and any previous phases in a dashed and faded style, which is exactly how I would like the future work to display, but the content for future goes away.

We are a MEP firm collaborating with an Architectural firm and a Structural firm and the solution that was suggested was to overlap views on the plot sheets, keeping one view on the current phase and one view on the final phase. This works but its a 250,000 sq. ft. building and will require hundreds of views when all is said and done, this will require a massive amount of maintenance and visibility controls across three different models, which to me sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks
xxjwilson

Re: Phasing frustration!!

Postby Revit Zone » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi there :)

MANY apologies for the delay in replying. Have you managed to sort this issue out yet?

If not, we can probably help with this one. Please let us know if you need a brief walk-through and (if so) we can post some screen shots in this thread.

Kind regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby xxjwilson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.

I came up with a work-around for our schematic design submission. I'm placing all content on its appropriate phase (existing, Phase I, Phase II, etc.) but I'm setting the phase filter to none so everything looks like day one build out. I'm using VG filters based on worksets for producing drawings, this works well but the filters need to be applied to each view (which can easily be done with a view template). When the other firms link our model the content is all on the appropriate phase (existing, Phase I, Phase II, etc.) but visually everything looks like day one until you apply the filters.

Its not ideal, I would like the phasing tool to be able to handle this because when we finally hand over the model to the contractor they will need everything to be located on the appropriate phase AND look correct in views and on sheets.

It doesn't make sense that the phasing tool can only show two different visual styles at a time.

Any ideas?
Thanks
xxjwilson

Postby Conman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Cadline produced a very nice white paper tutorial on phasing but it sounds that you are beyond that. In that tutorial they used 3 phases 'existing', 'New Construction' with 'show all' for existing and 'show complete' as VG's. Tis a nice tutorial that may hold the key to your question.
check out the cadline resources or drop me a PM.

conman
Conman

Return to Presentation & Graphics