new to your forum

Whether you are new to Revit or an Old Hand, this is the place to introduce yourself and say Hi to fellow members.

new to your forum

Postby Sportster » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:16 am

Hi
I am a new user of your forum & a bit new to Revit, about a year.
I have come off Autocad Architecture so it has maybe been easier than off Autocad.
I work in Australia for myself, well I do the work myself but for other people.

Cheers Sportster
Rome wasn't built in a day, cos it took so long to get rid of the old sh*&*^t before they could get on with the good stuff
Sportster

Re: new to your forum

Postby Revit Zone » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Sportster!

A VERY warm welcome to our community. :)

So how you liking Revit so far, compared to Autocad Architecture?

I understand that Australia is WELL into Revit at the moment? My website stats show that Aus is the second largest number of visits to Revit Zone, after the US.

Looking forward to discussing Revit with you.

Cheers for now,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Saw » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:52 am

Welcome :)

Regards,
Mike
Saw
Regular

Postby Sportster » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:08 am

Yes there has been a massive move to Revit In the past 5-10 years. I started with Architectural Desktop as it was then called & it definitely had problems but I persevered for quite a while (too long). It has got very good in the meantime a guy I used to converse with in the Autodesk forums for ADT has a good blog going http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/
But somewhere along the line Autodesk or the main retailer in Aus just pretty well dumped ADT, one minute they were all selling it, promoting it & you could get support, next if you weren't on Revit they just about didn't want to know you.
So as I started to get it as part of my subscription I gave it a bit of a go & it is quite good now, I think they are apples & oranges, but Revit is certainly more automated with sheets, views, levels etc. But other stuff in Revit is clunky. Possibly overall Revit may be a better basic product for getting work done which is what matters in the end.
Rome wasn't built in a day, cos it took so long to get rid of the old sh*&*^t before they could get on with the good stuff
Sportster

Postby Revit Zone » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:29 am

It sounds like the exact same story as happened here, with regards ADT (Architectural Desktop). I even remember going on a 3 day intensive training course for it, MANY MANY years ago.

All of a sudden, ADT had gone and was the vendors were pushing something else.

In my opinion, nothing that has come before (Autocad, ADT, Autocad Architecture) comes anywhere near the overalls power or versatility of Revit.

You mention that you find some things clunky in Revit. Would you mind sharing what those are? Maybe we can discuss them here on the forums or I can do some bespoke articles on them for the main site?

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Olly » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi there!

Olly
Olly

Postby Sportster » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:14 am

Yes Thanks Ian
I will have to think now that I have blurted out the word "clunky" it may be perhaps that I am still in the transition stage & am not quite thinking in the new language of Revit yet.
I was looking at walls that are not perpendicular yesterday. It seems that the only way to create them was to make a solid form & then turn one of the faces or any, into a wall. Is there a more direct way in the wall creation process.
Hmm perhaps this should be in another part of the forum??
Sportster

Postby James » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:05 pm

hi there and welcome :)
Plowman Craven aim to be at the forefront of technology, especially within the BIM environment.
James
Regular

Return to The Social Area