New boy

Whether you are new to Revit or an Old Hand, this is the place to introduce yourself and say Hi to fellow members.

New boy

Postby shorty » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 am

Hi guys i am very new to revit (one day old) i have been using mep but am now trying to come on board. So any help and advice on tutorials or books would be very welcome, or any free online courses :lol:
shorty

Re: New boy

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:56 pm

shorty wrote:Hi guys i am very new to revit (one day old) i have been using mep but am now trying to come on board. So any help and advice on tutorials or books would be very welcome, or any free online courses :lol:

Hi Shorty :)

Is it just Revit MEP that you are using / learning; or Revit Architecture too?

If you are one day in- I bet it is a bit overwhelming?!

There are some key fundamental elements (operationally) to Revit- irrespective of which version you are using (Revit comes in "Revit Architecture", "Revit MEP" and "Revit Structure").

Is it just Revit MEP that you have on your machine or do you have Revit "One Box" (ie all favlours of Revit built into the same installation)?

We can definitiely help get you up to speed with the fundamentals- as stated above, these are fundamental to the use of Revit, no matter which version- you still need to be comfortable with these concepts.

Are you planning on "working alone" using Revit or are you producing models based on someone else's "base model"?

Lots of questions for you, lots to think about. But rest assured, we'll help where we can.

Kind regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby shorty » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi Ian really appreciate your help, yeah it does feel a bit overwhelming but very exciting. I know this might sound a bit stupid but i'm not sure what revit i have. I have the
Building design suite premium 2013 from autodesk. When i open revit up it has an architect tab and system tab etc, on the box it just said revit. I do work alone but i often get the 2d floor plans from the architects then I draw our pipe runs and rads etc using mep. I would like to learn both so that i can produce a 3d model of the house then all our services with in the house. It would be good if i could produce heat loss calcs material list's etc.

Many thanks Ian

Shaun
shorty

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:00 pm

You have what is know as Revit "One Box"- basically in your single installion you have the equivalent of Revit Architecture, Revit MEP and Revit Structure- all in one package. You can switch the appropriate GUI's on and off via the settings on the "User Interface" tab.

The "slightly" bad news first- this site is geared mainly towards Revit Architecture. Consequently, we are not too hot on Revit MEP, yet!!!!!

The GOOD News: We LOVE Revit Architecture and can get you fully up to speed on how it works- giving you all the skills to "make it fly".

As I said previously, there is a core set of concepts that are common to all versions of Revit- and you need to learn those first (I woulod suggest) before you worry "too" much about the specifics of Revit MEP.

Everything on here is free- the articles, the resources, the forums, the help. All you need to do is ask, ask, ask and ask.

We are conscious that we need to get more informed on Revit Structure and Revit MEP- so maybe we can help each other in that learning porcess.

One this is sure: Revit is a FANTASTIC tool- it is the future (or should I say diplomatically "BIM is the future and Revit is one such tool to help deliver that")

Be warned: Once you get hooked on Reivt, you can't get enough and there's no turning back- you wont WANT to turn back! (I was so impressed I started a web site!)

All the best,
I look forward to joining you on your Revit Journey.

For anyone else lurking on the side line, thinking about taking the plunge- take a leaf out of Shorty's book- get stuck in, the future is fast approaching!

Kind regards,
Ian

shorty wrote:Hi Ian really appreciate your help, yeah it does feel a bit overwhelming but very exciting. I know this might sound a bit stupid but i'm not sure what revit i have. I have the
Building design suite premium 2013 from autodesk. When i open revit up it has an architect tab and system tab etc, on the box it just said revit. I do work alone but i often get the 2d floor plans from the architects then I draw our pipe runs and rads etc using mep. I would like to learn both so that i can produce a 3d model of the house then all our services with in the house. It would be good if i could produce heat loss calcs material list's etc.

Many thanks Ian

Shaun
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby shorty » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Yeah thanks Ian. Sounds good to me cant wait to start the learning journey. Is there any tutorials on the core set of concepts that i could work with? because at the moment I open revit up and am not quite sure where to start but lookinf forward to it anyway.

Thanks

Shorty
shorty

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:14 pm

As a real starting point I would take a look at two articles on my main site called "Levels and Views" and "a coordinated approach".

I am hoping to start writing some new articles again soon- so I could tailor them to suit someone starting out such as yourself.

Regards,
Ian
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby shorty » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi ian
Thanks so much Will take a look at those tomorrow can't wait to get started
Looking forward to when you write your new article for a new boy like me that would be wicked because it is hard to know where to start thanks for the help

Regards

Shorty
shorty

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:15 pm

You're VERY welcome :) glad to have you on board!

If I were you I would switch the User Interface to Revit Architecture and play around with that for a couple of weeks first. You need to build a solid foundation on the basics of Revit BEFORE you add in the complexities of MEP- and from what I've seen, Revit MEP can get pretty complex!!!! (but we'll look at that as an OPPORTUNTY!)

And probably the best thing to do is just jump in and start playing!!!! Much of it won't make sense- but that's GOOD- because you then have something to ask- and we'll be waiting with an answer or two ;)

Cheers,
Ian

shorty wrote:Hi ian
Thanks so much Will take a look at those tomorrow can't wait to get started
Looking forward to when you write your new article for a new boy like me that would be wicked because it is hard to know where to start thanks for the help

Regards

Shorty
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Return to The Social Area