Catch Up

Whether you are new to Revit or an Old Hand, this is the place to introduce yourself and say Hi to fellow members.

Catch Up

Postby rdavies1973 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:22 am

Hi all (especially Ian, Saw, Tim)

It's been a while since I've posted, and for once I don't have any questions!!!

Just like to share my progress and story regarding Revit.

I was extremely lucky that I was asked to teach Revit at the campus where I was studying (Building Design). At the time I was the only student using Revit (it was mainly an Archicad campus at the time) but a vacancy popped up when the Revit tutor left suddenly. One of my tutors knew I had used Revit I was asked if I'd like to take on the class.

I'm now in my third year of teaching that particular class, but now also teach a range of other building design subjects. Nice university even paid for my teaching and assessment qualifications!

I know this sounds a bit me-me-me but this is the good part ...

Our university is the possibly only provider in Melbourne (possibly all of Victoria, Australia) that teaches the 3 CAD platforms. AutoCRAD, Archicad, and Revit. Normally the students are taught AutoCAD first (first year), Archicad second, and Revit last. I'd reckon 90% of the students say that Revit is far easier and better to use, and many will swap to Revit half way through existing projects and still finish quicker because they understand Revit easier! I have dabbled with Archicad and found it confusing to all hell. I'd still intend to learn it (can't have too many skills), but I reckon Revit is well and truly the future. It's a pity the suppliers/Autodesk just make it cost so much.

On another note, teaching Revit is a sure fire way to speed up the learning process. Using Revit by myself, I would only look for new functions if became a requirement of a new project. As a tutor, I get asked a lot of questions that I don't know immediate answers to ... so I have to find out pronto! A good example is that only last night, I truly figured out and understood the loft form function within Conceptual mass. It's 'only' been around three years but here's me just learning it now. The reason why ... I've given a bunch of students free rein to design a themed museum and some are coming up with some wild ideas. One idea is to construct a giant swan, another is doing a motoring museum in the likeness of gears. They are all going for it and I had to gear up myself.

Understanding loft forms and manipulating plans etc in Conceptual Mass space has really boosted my confidence and I certainly feel that I've made a quantum leap in my understanding of Revit.

Ian ... your loft form tutorial is what I followed to help give me this most welcome of boosts. Revit was fun before, but now I perpetually feel like a kid in a candy shop. It's great!

I recommend to all my students to visit this website and to read up the tutorials and forums. I mention major contributors by name, and the feedback I get about this website is always positive.

Again, I know this is a long post but I really wanted to let everyone here know that this is a great website for a great bit of software and I hope to hell the only direction it goes is up!
rdavies1973

Re: Catch Up

Postby Revit Zone » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Hey!!!! :D

Fantastic to hear from you.

Thank you SO MUCH for droipping by and giving us an update as to how you're getting on.

I am really envious of your Teaching Position! :mrgreen: This is something I would very much like to get into early next year.

Very interesting to hear the feedback you are getting from your students as to the ease of Revit when compared to other platforms. It is always good to have choice- I just wish I had enough time to learn other software too- there's enough within Revit to keep one busy full-time!

THANK YOU for pointing your Students in this direction with regardsto topping up their Revit knowledge! We're always well up for some good old Revit discussion, no matter what the level.

Is there any aspect of Revit that you think would be particularly good for new Users to concentrate on / get to grips with???? I only ask, because if there is, we can concentrate some of our efforts in that direction with regards new tutorials / articles, etc.

Revit on the Up??????? As if you need to ask! (It's the FUTURE :D )

Please keep in touch- and please keep posting those superb images to the Gallery.

All the best,
Kind regards,
Ian

rdavies1973 wrote:Hi all (especially Ian, Saw, Tim)

I was extremely lucky that I was asked to teach Revit at the campus where I was studying (Building Design). At the time I was the only student using Revit (it was mainly an Archicad campus at the time) but a vacancy popped up when the Revit tutor left suddenly. One of my tutors knew I had used Revit I was asked if I'd like to take on the class.

I'm now in my third year of teaching that particular class, but now also teach a range of other building design subjects. Nice university even paid for my teaching and assessment qualifications!

Our university is the possibly only provider in Melbourne (possibly all of Victoria, Australia) that teaches the 3 CAD platforms. AutoCRAD, Archicad, and Revit. Normally the students are taught AutoCAD first (first year), Archicad second, and Revit last. I'd reckon 90% of the students say that Revit is far easier and better to use, and many will swap to Revit half way through existing projects and still finish quicker because they understand Revit easier! I have dabbled with Archicad and found it confusing to all hell. I'd still intend to learn it (can't have too many skills), but I reckon Revit is well and truly the future. It's a pity the suppliers/Autodesk just make it cost so much.

On another note, teaching Revit is a sure fire way to speed up the learning process. Using Revit by myself, I would only look for new functions if became a requirement of a new project. As a tutor, I get asked a lot of questions that I don't know immediate answers to ... so I have to find out pronto! A good example is that only last night, I truly figured out and understood the loft form function within Conceptual mass. It's 'only' been around three years but here's me just learning it now. The reason why ... I've given a bunch of students free rein to design a themed museum and some are coming up with some wild ideas. One idea is to construct a giant swan, another is doing a motoring museum in the likeness of gears. They are all going for it and I had to gear up myself.

Understanding loft forms and manipulating plans etc in Conceptual Mass space has really boosted my confidence and I certainly feel that I've made a quantum leap in my understanding of Revit.

Ian ... your loft form tutorial is what I followed to help give me this most welcome of boosts. Revit was fun before, but now I perpetually feel like a kid in a candy shop. It's great!

I recommend to all my students to visit this website and to read up the tutorials and forums. I mention major contributors by name, and the feedback I get about this website is always positive.

Again, I know this is a long post but I really wanted to let everyone here know that this is a great website for a great bit of software and I hope to hell the only direction it goes is up!
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Saw » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Nice update,

Sounds like life is good for you. Keep it up :)

Regards
Mike

rdavies1973 wrote:Hi all (especially Ian, Saw, Tim)

Saw
Regular

Postby rdavies1973 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:37 am

Hi Ian and Mike

Thanks for the reply. I'm amazed you could read it through the terrible grammar and spelling mistakes (wrote it very late at night).

Ian, you mentioned additional tutorials etc ...

A couple come to mind initially.

1. Producing model-in-place components using extrusion, sweep, etc I know you've done it for the Conceptual Mass environment, but I don't show my students this until later on as I don't like to confuse them with too many environments (I only have the full-timers for 3 hours a week for a total of 15 weeks ... barely enough to get the basics in).

2. Managing levels so they tie in with toposurface and surveyor levels. At the moment, I ask my surveyors to set their RL's to 0.0m to match the zero point in Revit. This is fine if the benchmark is an arbitrary number. But, if the benchmark is to an official datum then we need to get Revit in sync with that.

That'll do for now methinks.

My goals are currently to finish my quals (applying for credits instead of sitting classes) and possibly back into a drafting office over summer as I'm only sessional and don't get paid if I'm not teaching!
rdavies1973

Postby Revit Zone » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Yep, some good ideas for some tutorials there.

The "form modelling" is one area where Revit has come on in leaps and bounds e last couple of years. When you mento Revt, most people think Doors, Walls, Windows, floors and Roofs! We need to get people using the tools to explore the START of a Design. So yes, more on initial modelling- be it Conceptual Mass, in-place, etc- is a great ideas.

Your other suggestion would probably be covered by a tutorial on Shared Coordinates- this is one are that people often shy away from- so lets tackle it HEAD-ON!!!!!

All e best,
Kind regards,
Ian

rdavies1973 wrote:Hi Ian and Mike

Thanks for the reply. I'm amazed you could read it through the terrible grammar and spelling mistakes (wrote it very late at night).

Ian, you mentioned additional tutorials etc ...

A couple come to mind initially.

1. Producing model-in-place components using extrusion, sweep, etc I know you've done it for the Conceptual Mass environment, but I don't show my students this until later on as I don't like to confuse them with too many environments (I only have the full-timers for 3 hours a week for a total of 15 weeks ... barely enough to get the basics in).

2. Managing levels so they tie in with toposurface and surveyor levels. At the moment, I ask my surveyors to set their RL's to 0.0m to match the zero point in Revit. This is fine if the benchmark is an arbitrary number. But, if the benchmark is to an official datum then we need to get Revit in sync with that.

That'll do for now methinks.

My goals are currently to finish my quals (applying for credits instead of sitting classes) and possibly back into a drafting office over summer as I'm only sessional and don't get paid if I'm not teaching!
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Return to The Social Area