New to Revit & BIM

Whether you are new to Revit or an Old Hand, this is the place to introduce yourself and say Hi to fellow members.

New to Revit & BIM

Postby Jase » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:32 pm

I have downloaded a student copy of Revit 2013 from the Autodesk website and have begun to model a project that my company is working on, for my own curiosity and to aid my knowledge of BIM software. I have found a lot of differences from the AutoCAD software that I use on a daily basis but have found the basics of Revit fairly straightforward to use.

I am currently undertaking a part-time Building Surveying degree and as part of my dissertation research I am looking into the challenges of implementing Building Information Modelling within organisations. As part of my dissertation I have prepared a questionnaire in order to understand whether the UK construction industry is prepared for the UK government’s mandatory requirement for fully collaborative 3D Building Information Modelling (BIM) on its construction projects by 2016.

If any of you would be able to take the time to complete my questionnaire I would greatly appreciate it. The questionnaire is available at http://tinyurl.com/BIM-Survey-JG
Jase

Re: New to Revit & BIM

Postby Revit Zone » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi Jase :)

A VERY warm welcome to the Forum.

Please keep us updated with your progress with Revit. If there is anything we can help you with, please do not hesitate to post your questions in the forums.

I'll complete your survey this week- and I would encourage other forum members to take a few minutes to do so also.

Kind regards,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Jase » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks Ian. I would greatly appreciate the users' perspective of BIM for my survey.

I haven't got into the nitty-gritty of Revit yet, I don't think. I am modelling a showroom/warehouse/office building and have completed the main structural elements. I came to place the cladding rails and got stuck, they attached to the centre of the columns rather than the faces.
Jase

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Jase wrote:Thanks Ian. I would greatly appreciate the users' perspective of BIM for my survey.

I haven't got into the nitty-gritty of Revit yet, I don't think. I am modelling a showroom/warehouse/office building and have completed the main structural elements. I came to place the cladding rails and got stuck, they attached to the centre of the columns rather than the faces.

Hi Jase,

When placing the rails you may want to set up a different Reference Plane for them. Or you could use an Offset. In Revit there is usually at least a couple of different ways of doing things. Are you working strictly with Revit Architecture; or Structure and MEP too?

Thanks,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Jase » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:46 pm

I did look at creating a different plane but couldn't work it out, that said I didn't spend long doing it. I keep instinctively trying to use AutoCAD keyboard shortcuts for 'move' and 'offset' and the like which is quite annoying.

I have Revit 2013 which has all three disciplines.
Jase

Postby Jase » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:48 am

Ian, have you managed to get round to attempting the questionnaire? I would appreciate your feedback
Jase

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Jase wrote:Ian, have you managed to get round to attempting the questionnaire? I would appreciate your feedback

Hi Jase,

I've just completed the Survey now. Hope my input helps?

'Really looking forward to seeing the overall results. If you'd like the share the results with the world- I'd be more than happy to do a blog post on the main site- with links to your results?

With regards the general adoption of BIM by the UK Construction Industry (by 2016)' I am soon to be starting a new, seperate website specifically focused in this topic- the site will be www.Level2BIM.co.uk. If you want to be notified of progress to the website, I have twitter updates on @Level2BIM

All the very best wishes with your project- it's an exciting time to be involved in BIM in the UK!

Kind regards,
Ian
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby Jase » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:56 am

Thank you very much.

I think my results currently lean towards the industry generally not knowing enough about what BIM is and what the potential benefits are.

In my opinion, the only way to fully understand BIM as a process is to get involved in it, because even though I have researched the topic in depth there are elements, such as the legalities and interoperability, for example, that you could never fully understand until you have something to relate it to.

Much like, I suppose, the introduction of CAD, there will be the industry leaders adopting the new technology whilst others never really commit until they are forced to do so due to lack of business. I anticipate making recommendations in my dissertation not only to the industry, but also to the professional institutions and government.

I'll have to see about sharing the result with the world, I don't know where I stand with that at this stage with regards the University etc. I will ask the question.

Many thanks again,

Jason
Jase

Postby Revit Zone » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:15 am

You're absolutely right Jase- I think most of the Uk construction industry has now heard about BIM- but dont really know where to start.

The Government set up regional BIM Hubs to help with this "education issue" but I don't ( with the greatest of respect) think they do enough. I've been to 3 BIM Hub seminars now and they have all just given a basic starter for 10, as to what BIM is.mBut there is absolutely no direction given as to WHAT people need to do to get on board. I'm going to attempt to tackle this with Level2BIM.co.uk. I am going to make it VERY SPECIFIC. It will deal with Legalities, software, training, interoperability, standards, protocols, contracts, etc. Basically a "one stop shop" that will get people up to speed of the requirements for Level 2 BIM by 2016.

Kind regards,
Ian
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby nealmac » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Just completed the survey. I'm from Ireland, but the survey is more geared towards the UK. Hope this isn't a problem? We do a lot of work in the UK and while our standards differ somewhat, they're basically the same.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
nealmac
Regular

Return to The Social Area