I am back :D

Whether you are new to Revit or an Old Hand, this is the place to introduce yourself and say Hi to fellow members.

I am back :D

Postby James » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:48 am

Hi all,

Havent been on here for a long time, and thought i would check in :D

I have a new job now, using Revit/BIM in a different environment to new build/extension/refurbishment architectural drawings. I am now drawing up existing surveys from Point Cloud data and it is great fun :D

If you have any queries/questions regarding this type of work, please ask away!

James
Plowman Craven aim to be at the forefront of technology, especially within the BIM environment.
James
Regular

Re: I am back :D

Postby Revit Zone » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 am

Hi there!!!!!!

Glad to see you back. I'm sure we'll all have loads of questionds re point cloud data :)

Cheers,
Ian
The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (FREE 84 part online video Course)
A complete 84 part written / video Course, aimed at Beginners. For the course itinerary and details of how to enrol, click the title link above.
Revit Zone
Site Admin

Postby James » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:55 am

cheers Ian.

It is good and it is amazing how accurate the Point Cloud is.
Plowman Craven aim to be at the forefront of technology, especially within the BIM environment.
James
Regular

Postby PeterC » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:51 am

Hi James,
I came across your post regarding point cloud to bim modelling that you are doing. I have been asked to do the same for a client of mine and I am looking for a few bits of advice if you don't mind ? my queries are as follows -
1. when I take in a point cloud file (pcg file) - the orientation of the point cloud usually isn't orthographic to the default views - How do you change the cloud to make it easier to draw on plan - ie so it's orthographic on the screen? I saw something about true north and project north -but not sure if I should rotate either of these or not, as I don't want the 'true' orientation of the point cloud to change.

2. I have seen some Youtube demos where they actually move the point cloud down to Level 0 before commencement of the project model - Do you do this? Does this not affect the true co-ordinates of the model ?

3. Do you use section boxes to crop the cloud - or is there other ways to do it?

4. Do you use any 3rd party addons as a guide to help create the walls and opes etc

5. Finally do you use generic families to create walls , doors and windows for your surveys?

I am sorry about all the questions - I am quite new to revit never mind point clouds, but I have been offered some work of this type and it looks very interesting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated -

Thanks,
Peter
PeterC

Postby James » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:28 pm

hi Peter.

some of these are quite lengthy to explain. where are you based?

or do you have skype etc?

**of course Ian, when im not pressed for time i can write a lengthy reply. also if you would like an article etc on revit/bim/point cloud a director @ Plowman Craven is more than willing to provide some literature etc.
James
Regular

Postby James » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:30 pm

PeterC wrote:Hi James,
I came across your post regarding point cloud to bim modelling that you are doing. I have been asked to do the same for a client of mine and I am looking for a few bits of advice if you don't mind ? my queries are as follows -
1. when I take in a point cloud file (pcg file) - the orientation of the point cloud usually isn't orthographic to the default views - How do you change the cloud to make it easier to draw on plan - ie so it's orthographic on the screen? I saw something about true north and project north -but not sure if I should rotate either of these or not, as I don't want the 'true' orientation of the point cloud to change.

this is very dangerous to do, if you are using other addons - ie cloudworx as it will kill the co-ords of the model. in general we leave it sitting where it comes in.

2. I have seen some Youtube demos where they actually move the point cloud down to Level 0 before commencement of the project model - Do you do this? Does this not affect the true co-ordinates of the model ?
nope, as the level will be OS level and we leave it at that.

3. Do you use section boxes to crop the cloud - or is there other ways to do it?
yep, in 3d and 2d

4. Do you use any 3rd party addons as a guide to help create the walls and opes etc
not really, use sections etc to work it out

5. Finally do you use generic families to create walls , doors and windows for your surveys?
depends on clients requirements, ie inplace, families, massing etc

I am sorry about all the questions - I am quite new to revit never mind point clouds, but I have been offered some work of this type and it looks very interesting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated -

Thanks,
Peter
James
Regular

Postby PeterC » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Thanks James for your excellent advice. I really appreciate it- One last one if you don't mind - Do you use the Cloudworx plugin for revit or do you use the built-in point cloud feature in Revit ? The built-in point cloud feature is a bit slow for me, I have seen Cloudworx in action with autocad, but haven't used it in Revit.

Kind regards
Peter
PeterC

Postby James » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:10 am

hi i have clouudworx plugin to, but i prefer to use PCG.

we are moving over to 2014 soon so will be using recap
James
Regular

Postby PeterC » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks again, ReCap looks really interesting. PCG - do you mean just importing the cloud using as a PCG directly? it seems slow for me.

Regards
Peter
PeterC

Postby James » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:33 am

hi Peter,

its not really smooth but works. it is best to keep PCG to under 5GB or it eats resources. on average, Revit uses about 8gb of ram on my PC.
James
Regular

Next

Return to The Social Area