computer & internet

The non-Revit Forum! eg Hobbies, sport, tech, news, music, cars, websites, etc

computer & internet

Postby wahlibha » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:35 am

How do I fix my new computers Internet ? I just bought a brand new computer, hooked it up and the Internet and it was working fine. I then decided to download a Microsoft word disk only to discover that it was already on the computer so i exited the program. When I restarted my computer the Internet wasn't connected and it say I need to install a driver for my network adapter.
wahlibha

Re: computer & internet

Postby puaa001 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:25 am

Use this method.(wikihow content)

Identifying the Problem

Check your computer. There's no need to make this a big project if in fact it only requires a quick fix.

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to check to see if your computer is receiving signal. Whether using a PC or a Mac, there should be symbol that represents your internet connection on the menu bar. Most computers will also have a symbol that represents a broken connection (this is what it looks like for a Windows PC and for a Mac).
If the connection is broken, the first thing to try is to reset your computer's connection. You can follow these steps if you use Windows.

Check the modem. The modem is the device that receives and transmits signals between the internet and your network (usually via a connection that looks similar to a cable TV line).This is not to be confused with the router, which is the device that acts as the intermediary, connecting your computer to the local area network (LAN).

Look at the lights on the front of the modem. There are usually lights that indicate that there is an incoming signal (as on this common device) or a functioning two-way signal. While they do differ greatly from device to device, one will certainly indicate that the connection is complete.

Identify the problem. If the modem lights makes clear that a complete two-way signal cannot be established, your problem will likely require the assistance of your cable/internet provider. If you are receiving signal but your machine cannot make a clear connection, you will need to reset your IP address (as described in the next steps).

Resetting the Connection

While on the desktop screen, hold down the Windows key and press R. This will open the "run dialog"--a small box that will allow you to enter the name of program and run it without having to navigate through a further maze of windows.

In the run dialog, type "cmd" and press Enter. This will open the command prompt. The command prompt is essentially an alternative interface within the operating system. Rather than cycling through a limited list of options (as is typically the case with current operating systems) the command prompt allows you to enter the command of your own choosing. While it is powerful, it more closely resembles the operating system interfaces of the 1980s that were notoriously unfriendly to novice users. Luckily, you are one a site that can guide you through it.

In the command prompt, type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter. This will "flush and reset" the DNS cache (the DNS cache is the record of the IP addresses of recently visited web servers).
In the command prompt,type "ipconfig /registerdns" and press Enter. This command will initiate dynamic registration of your IP.[6]

Type "ipconfig /release" and press Enter. This will reset your IP address to 0.0.0.0. [7]
In the command prompt, type "ipconfig /renew" and press Enter. At this time, your computer will attempt to obtain a new IP address. This may take some time.
In the command prompt, type "netsh winsock reset" and press Enter. This will reset the "Winsock," or Windows socket. This is a tool that is commonly corrupted by malware, and resetting provides just one more guarantee that your machine and network will be ready.[8]

Restart the computer.
Re-evaluate after the computer restarts. If the situation has not been resolved, you will have to contact your internet service provider.
puaa001

Return to Other Topics